What's new

Help Me Please! I need to set up a centralized login system for a school's online access.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

David G.

New Around Here
Is there a way to require students to log in by user name/ID to access the internet at a private school. We currently have no budget to set up a full blown server / workstation system. We need to track student's online activity as well as restrict access to only necessary websites. Additionally we need to block students from accessing the network on their phones (which I am sure we can do through MAC filtering.) Our current situation is a BYOD with students having everything from high end Macbooks to $50 Android tablets that they access through an unrestricted wireless connection on an AT&T provided Pace 5268AC router. We have about 150 students plus 20 or so staff members that use the system daily at this campus. We only have 25 Mb download speed but rarely have an issue with that. Basically we need something to put between the Pace router and the students that can track them. I have researched this a bit but am not really getting anywhere as there are many, many opinions about what to do. I appreciate any input and advice.

This could be more complicated than you think, if you really need to match activity to student. Setting aside that kids can swap devices, some may be savvy enough to spoof MAC addresses.

What captive portal solutions have you looked at?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!