What's new

Help Me Remember How I Did It Before?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

quranp

New Around Here
I am a Field Tech and I have a piece of equipment I connect too with a CAT6 from its RJ45 port, to my laptops RJ45. Because of inclement many years ago I played around with a router and DHCP settings an got it setup to take the place of my CAT6. It connected to the equipment and my laptop connected to it via wifi and voila, No more 60ft of cat6 to wrap up. I have been playing around with the WAN settings as well as disabling DHCP but no luck, I simply cant remember how I made it work in before.

The equipment login ip is 192.168.255.145. My laptop ethernet is set to 192.168.255.146. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the forums @quranp.

I believe what you're describing is Media Bridge mode.

First off thank you for responding. Thiggins, basically I'm trying to use a router in place of a long cat6 that I normally use to connect to the equipment with my laptop. I recall having to set the router to use the IP that I would normally set up on my laptop to connect to the equipment. Then a cat6 goes from the equipment to the router. Now my laptop is set to obtain an IP automatically. Then I could connect my laptop to the router wirelessly and log into the equipment as if the cable was still there. L&LD I will research Media Bridge and see if it sounds familiar.

First off thank you for responding. Thiggins, basically I'm trying to use a router in place of a long cat6 that I normally use to connect to the equipment with my laptop. I recall having to set the router to use the IP that I would normally set up on my laptop to connect to the equipment. Then a cat6 goes from the equipment to the router. Now my laptop is set to obtain an IP automatically. Then I could connect my laptop to the router wirelessly and log into the equipment as if the cable was still there. L&LD I will research Media Bridge and see if it sounds familiar.
I see Media Bridge mode connects to an existing router to cover low or no coverage areas that's not what I'm trying to accomplish, but thanks for the suggestion.

I see Media Bridge mode connects to an existing router to cover low or no coverage areas that's not what I'm trying to accomplish, but thanks for the suggestion.
No, I think media bridge is exactly what you need. Once the bridge is set up you should be able to use a LAN port to connect and Ethernet device.