What's new

Help: Multiple Times on Router Messing up iptables

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sean Rhodes

Regular Contributor
I have an Asus RT-AC3200 with 380.68_2 firmware installed. I'm running a firewall-start script on my jffs partition to basically turn off the internet to my kids pc's early on school nights. The problem is they are turning off 4 hours too early.

On the router GUI sys page, my timezone is GMT-5 for EST, when I run the busybox date command from terminal, the time is what I expect.

Can anyone tell me where the iptables pull the time and date from since my rules are starting 4 hours earlier than they should.

As an fyi, when I run Date -R, I get the correct date and time, but when I run DMESG I see this:
xt_time: kernel timezone is -0000
Could that be the issue and if so, how do I set it?

Thanks

Last edited:
If you show us the firewall-start script we might be able to see the problem.

OK, in the interim here's my iptables -L output, you will see the rules are in UTC

target prot opt source destination
dropkids all -- anywhere anywhere TIME from 00:00:00 to 08:59:00 on Fri,Sat UTC
dropkids all -- anywhere anywhere TIME from 02:00:00 to 23:59:59 on Fri,Sat UTC
dropkids all -- anywhere anywhere TIME from 00:00:00 to 07:15:00 on Mon,Tue,Wed,Thu,Sun UTC
dropkids all -- anywhere anywhere TIME from 23:30:00 to 23:59:59 on Mon,Tue,Wed,Thu,Sun UTC

Here's the script:
Code:
#!/bin/sh

# uncomment next line to see commands as they are read from this file
# set -v
# uncomment next line to see commands as they are executed
# set -x
#
# this script is to turn off machines Internet access by IP address at night
# it will break existing connections.
# if the kid is smart enough to change IP address, the mac address will prevent controlling an existing connection
# IP version 6 is not addressed here
#
# start and stop times for school days (hh:mm)
SchoolNiteTime=23:30
SchoolMornTime=07:15
# comma delimit list of school days
SchoolDays="Mon,Tue,Wed,Thu,Sun"
#
# start and stop times for non school days
WeekendNiteTime=02:00
WeekendMornTime=08:59

# comma delimit list of non school days ("" means not used )
# if a day is not in either SchoolDays or WeekendDays list, then no restriction on the missing day

WeekendDays="Fri,Sat"
#
# Change line below to the space delimited list of IP addresses of the kids machines

StaticIPList="IP address1 IPaddress2 IPaddress3"
#StaticIPList=""
#
# the mac restriction does not totally break connections,
# but prevents kid who change IP address from starting new connections.
# Change line below the space delimited list of mac address of the kids machines ("" means not used )

MaCList="MAC address1 MAC address2 MAC address3"
#MaCList=""

# define a user chain and fill with rules
iptables -N dropkids
iptables -F dropkids

# first by MaCList                                                                                  
for MaC in $MaCList                                                                                
  do                                                                                                
  iptables -I dropkids 1 -m mac --mac-source $MaC -j DROP                                          
  done                                                                                              
# then the StaticIPList                                                                            
  for StaticIP in $StaticIPList                                                                    
  do                                                                                                
    iptables -I dropkids 1 -s $StaticIP -j DROP                                                    
    iptables -I dropkids 1 -d $StaticIP -j DROP                                                    
  done                                                                                              
#                                                                                                  
    iptables -I FORWARD 1 -m time --timestart $SchoolNiteTime --weekdays $SchoolDays -j dropkids    
    iptables -I FORWARD 1 -m time --timestop  $SchoolMornTime --weekdays $SchoolDays -j dropkids    

# optional Weekend restriction                                                                    
   if test "x$WeekendDays" != "x"                                                                
   then                                                                                        
    iptables -I FORWARD 1 -m time --timestart $WeekendNiteTime --weekdays $WeekendDays -j dropkids
    iptables -I FORWARD 1 -m time --timestop  $WeekendMornTime --weekdays $WeekendDays -j dropkids
   fi

and here's my date -R output:
Code:
Sun, 17 Sep 2017 21:35:29 -0400
and from my dmesg output:
Code:
xt_time: kernel timezone is -0000
and my router GUI shows GMT-5 for Eastern Standard Time

BTW Network Services Filter is Disabled

Last edited:
You might need the "--kerneltz" parameter to adjust for the timezone.

Try changing lines like this:

iptables -I FORWARD 1 -m time --timestart $SchoolNiteTime --weekdays $SchoolDays -j dropkids

to this:

iptables -I FORWARD 1 -m time --timestart $SchoolNiteTime --weekdays $SchoolDays --kerneltz -j dropkids

I was reading that its best to avoid that, but didn't understand why. I will try it though, thanks for the help

Regarding this problem; can you post the actual script you are experiencing the problem with (not the example you previously posted). Also the output of "iptables-save -t filter".

BTW Did adding kerneltz fix the timezone problem?

Regarding this problem; can you post the actual script you are experiencing the problem with (not the example you previously posted). Also the output of "iptables-save -t filter".

BTW Did adding kerneltz fix the timezone problem?
Here's the actual script:
Code:
#!/bin/sh

# uncomment next line to see commands as they are read from this file
# set -v
# uncomment next line to see commands as they are executed
# set -x
#
# this script is to turn off machines Internet access by IP address at night
# it will break existing connections.
# if the kid is smart enough to change IP address, the mac address will prevent controlling an existing connection
# IP version 6 is not addressed here
#
# start and stop times for school days (hh:mm)
SchoolNiteTime=23:30
SchoolMornTime=07:15
# comma delimit list of school days
SchoolDays="Mon,Tue,Wed,Thu,Sun"
#
# start and stop times for non school days
WeekendNiteTime=02:00
WeekendMornTime=08:59

# comma delimit list of non school days ("" means not used )
# if a day is not in either SchoolDays or WeekendDays list, then no restriction on the missing day

WeekendDays="Fri,Sat"
#
# Change line below to the space delimited list of IP addresses of the kids machines

StaticIPList="10.0.1.190 10.0.1.151 10.0.1.118 10.0.1.234 10.0.1.111"
#
# the mac restriction does not totally break connections,
# but prevents kid who change IP address from starting new connections.
# Change line below the space delimited list of mac address of the kids machines ("" means not used )

MaCList="94:9a:a9:95:5f:a4 14:CC:20:1E:59:33 6c:ad:f8:86:41:b9 b8:53:ac:9d:f7:b6 14:10:9f:d9:25:1d"

# define a user chain and fill with rules
iptables -N dropkids
iptables -F dropkids

# first by MaCList
for MaC in $MaCList
  do
  iptables -I dropkids 1 -m mac --mac-source $MaC -j DROP
  done
# then the StaticIPList
  for StaticIP in $StaticIPList
  do
    iptables -I dropkids 1 -s $StaticIP -j DROP
    iptables -I dropkids 1 -d $StaticIP -j DROP
  done
#
    iptables -I FORWARD 1 -m time --timestart $SchoolNiteTime --weekdays $SchoolDays --kerneltz -j dropkids
    iptables -I FORWARD 1 -m time --timestop  $SchoolMornTime --weekdays $SchoolDays --kerneltz -j dropkids

# optional Weekend restriction
   if test "x$WeekendDays" != "x"
   then
    iptables -I FORWARD 1 -m time --timestart $WeekendNiteTime --weekdays $WeekendDays --kerneltz -j dropkids
    iptables -I FORWARD 1 -m time --timestop  $WeekendMornTime --weekdays $WeekendDays --kerneltz -j dropkids
   fi
and here is the output filter:
Code:
ASUSWRT-Merlin RT-AC3200 380.68-2 Mon Sep 11 21:45:15 UTC 2017
rhodess@Asus-Merlin:/tmp/home/root# iptables-save -t filter
# Generated by iptables-save v1.4.14 on Mon Nov 11 04:48:08 2019
*filter
:INPUT ACCEPT [0:0]
:FORWARD DROP [0:0]
:OUTPUT ACCEPT [760:150278]
:ACCESS_RESTRICTION - [0:0]
:FUPNP - [0:0]
:INPUT_ICMP - [0:0]
:NSFW - [0:0]
:PControls - [0:0]
:PTCSRVLAN - [0:0]
:PTCSRVWAN - [0:0]
:SECURITY - [0:0]
:SSHBFP - [0:0]
:dropkids - [0:0]
:iptfromlan - [0:0]
:ipttolan - [0:0]
:logaccept - [0:0]
:logdrop - [0:0]
-A INPUT -i eth0 -p icmp -m icmp --icmp-type 8 -j DROP
-A INPUT -m state --state RELATED,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
-A INPUT -m state --state INVALID -j DROP
-A INPUT ! -i br0 -j PTCSRVWAN
-A INPUT -i br0 -j PTCSRVLAN
-A INPUT -i br0 -m state --state NEW -j ACCEPT
-A INPUT -i lo -m state --state NEW -j ACCEPT
-A INPUT -p udp -m udp --sport 67 --dport 68 -j ACCEPT
-A INPUT -d 10.0.1.1/32 -p tcp -m conntrack --ctstate DNAT -m tcp --dport 8443 -j ACCEPT
-A INPUT -d 10.0.1.1/32 -p tcp -m conntrack --ctstate DNAT -m tcp --dport 80 -j ACCEPT
-A INPUT -i eth0 -p tcp -m tcp --dport 2222 -m state --state NEW -j SSHBFP
-A INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --dport 8082 -j ACCEPT
-A INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --dport 7443 -j ACCEPT
-A INPUT -p icmp -j INPUT_ICMP
-A INPUT -j DROP
-A FORWARD -m time --timestart 00:00:00 --timestop 08:59:00 --weekdays Fri,Sat --kerneltz -j dropkids
-A FORWARD -m time --timestart 02:00:00 --timestop 23:59:59 --weekdays Fri,Sat --kerneltz -j dropkids
-A FORWARD -m time --timestart 00:00:00 --timestop 07:15:00 --weekdays Mon,Tue,Wed,Thu,Sun --kerneltz -j dropkids
-A FORWARD -m time --timestart 23:30:00 --timestop 23:59:59 --weekdays Mon,Tue,Wed,Thu,Sun --kerneltz -j dropkids
-A FORWARD -o br0 -j ipttolan
-A FORWARD -i br0 -j iptfromlan
-A FORWARD -m state --state RELATED,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
-A FORWARD ! -i br0 -o eth0 -j DROP
-A FORWARD -i eth0 -m state --state INVALID -j DROP
-A FORWARD -i br0 -o br0 -j ACCEPT
-A FORWARD -j NSFW
-A FORWARD -m conntrack --ctstate DNAT -j ACCEPT
-A FORWARD -i br0 -j ACCEPT
-A INPUT_ICMP -p icmp -m icmp --icmp-type 8 -j RETURN
-A INPUT_ICMP -p icmp -m icmp --icmp-type 13 -j RETURN
-A INPUT_ICMP -p icmp -j ACCEPT
-A PControls -j ACCEPT
-A SECURITY -p tcp -m tcp --tcp-flags FIN,SYN,RST,ACK SYN -m limit --limit 1/sec -j RETURN
-A SECURITY -p tcp -m tcp --tcp-flags FIN,SYN,RST,ACK SYN -j DROP
-A SECURITY -p tcp -m tcp --tcp-flags FIN,SYN,RST,ACK RST -m limit --limit 1/sec -j RETURN
-A SECURITY -p tcp -m tcp --tcp-flags FIN,SYN,RST,ACK RST -j DROP
-A SECURITY -p icmp -m icmp --icmp-type 8 -m limit --limit 1/sec -j RETURN
-A SECURITY -p icmp -m icmp --icmp-type 8 -j DROP
-A SECURITY -j RETURN
-A SSHBFP -m recent --set --name SSH --rsource
-A SSHBFP -m recent --update --seconds 60 --hitcount 4 --name SSH --rsource -j DROP
-A SSHBFP -j ACCEPT
-A dropkids -d 10.0.1.111/32 -j DROP
-A dropkids -s 10.0.1.111/32 -j DROP
-A dropkids -d 10.0.1.234/32 -j DROP
-A dropkids -s 10.0.1.234/32 -j DROP
-A dropkids -d 10.0.1.118/32 -j DROP
-A dropkids -s 10.0.1.118/32 -j DROP
-A dropkids -d 10.0.1.151/32 -j DROP
-A dropkids -s 10.0.1.151/32 -j DROP
-A dropkids -d 10.0.1.190/32 -j DROP
-A dropkids -s 10.0.1.190/32 -j DROP
-A dropkids -m mac --mac-source 14:10:9F:D9:25:1D -j DROP
-A dropkids -m mac --mac-source B8:53:AC:9D:F7:B6 -j DROP
-A dropkids -m mac --mac-source 6C:AD:F8:86:41:B9 -j DROP
-A dropkids -m mac --mac-source 14:CC:20:1E:59:33 -j DROP
-A dropkids -m mac --mac-source 94:9A:A9:95:5F:A4 -j DROP
-A iptfromlan -o eth0 -m account--aaddr 10.0.1.0/255.255.255.0 --aname lan  -j RETURN
-A ipttolan -i eth0 -m account--aaddr 10.0.1.0/255.255.255.0 --aname lan  -j RETURN
-A logaccept -m state --state NEW -j LOG --log-prefix "ACCEPT " --log-tcp-sequence --log-tcp-options --log-ip-options
-A logaccept -j ACCEPT
-A logdrop -m state --state NEW -j LOG --log-prefix "DROP " --log-tcp-sequence --log-tcp-options --log-ip-options
-A logdrop -j DROP
COMMIT
# Completed on Mon Nov 11 04:48:09 2019
rhodess@Asus-Merlin:/tmp/home/root#

The kerneltz helped, but I think its off by 1 hour, I will retry tonight and set it 5 mins ahead for one IP address, I will try renabling 10 mins later and see if I can nail it down first.

Thanks for the help

The shell that runs the scripts has a very minimal environment set. You may also want to try including the line

export TZ=`cat /etc/TZ`

at the beginning of your script.

OK, timezone issues aside, I can see why the weekend times don't work. The "start" times must be before midnight.

By specifying a weekend start time of 02:00 you have effectively blocked access for the whole of Friday and Saturday. (02:00 to 23:59 & 00:00 to 08:59)

The weekday times look like they should be working.