What's new

Help: My topology is no longer under my control?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Gothri

New Around Here
I'm not a networking IT guy. Please forgive my question if it seems silly.

My old equipment was an old Western Electric DSL modem and a Linksys wireless G router. In this system, I had the DSL modem simply perform "DSL pass through" and I allowed the router to be my NAT gateway and DHCP server. This worked well for years and my LAN addresses were 192.168.1.xxx (which is common).

But this equipment died.

I replaced it with a Motorola DSL 2210 modem and a Netgear WNDR3700 wireless router/switch (although I mostly use it as a switch these days). The trouble?

Well...

The modem appears to want to function as a router, and I don't know how to change this behavior. It has given itself a local address of 192.168.1.254 (I believe). I've turned off the DHCP server. Honestly, I thought I was just buying a modem ... I didn't want it to try and be a router.

My Netgear router/switch has given my LAN addresses that are 10.0.0.xxx. So I can only assume that it judged a conflict with the "common" LAN-behind-NAT 192.168.1.xxx addresses and the IP address that the modem had taken for itself. Not sure if this is accurate. The WNDR DHCP server is enabled.

Everything is working fine as far as I can tell. I think, though, that if my LAN is functioning like it's behind two gateways I might get into trouble at some point if I try to access my LAN from outside via the Internet.

Is my understanding accurate? What can I do to try and simplify my topology?

Last edited:
It's common for many DSL "modems" to actually be NAT routers. Some provide the option to put it into "Bridge" mode, which should allow it to pass the assigned public IP to the router WAN IP.

But if you can't put the modem into bridge mode, you can probably change its IP address so that you can go back to using 192.168.1.XXX on your LAN.

Plug computer into Motorola, log into the Motorola....go to advanced settings, change PPP location (you'll see the 3 clear descriptions). You'll need the "access code" to get into the advanced settings (basically like an Admin web admin password)..it will be on a yellow sticker on the bottom of the unit.

Now you can plug your computer back into the router..and connect the router to the Motorola....and setup the PPPoE on your own router.

Plug computer into Motorola, log into the Motorola....go to advanced settings, change PPP location (you'll see the 3 clear descriptions). You'll need the "access code" to get into the advanced settings (basically like an Admin web admin password)..it will be on a yellow sticker on the bottom of the unit.

Now you can plug your computer back into the router..and connect the router to the Motorola....and setup the PPPoE on your own router.

Thanks, much.

This worked perfectly.