What's new

Help - N56U wired devices unreachable

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

lucianf

New Around Here
I've got a strange situation since this morning. All wired devices (ports 1 to 4) are no longer able to see the router (no DHCP assigned, no ping response if setting static IP). However, I can still see their entries in the ARP table; but I am unable to reach them in any way.

I've been running Padavan's 3.4.3.9-099 up until today, I've reflashed it, reverted to factory config twice, then flashed the latest stock firmware (3.0.0.4_380_7378) and reverted to factory config again - no luck. If I try to set up manual DHCP assignments I can see the MACs in the DHCP client list and the ARP table as if they have previously connected to the router, but that's as far as it gets - the devices themselves (a Synology, a laptop, a PC and a TV) can never connect either via DHCP or fixed IP. So it's as if some information gets through, but only at HW level - IP is dead.

The really strange thing is that the wired devices can see each other (LAN to LAN), but they cannot see the router (WAN) or the wireless devices (WLAN). It's as if the two networks (WLAN and LAN) are no longer bridged. WLAN to WLAN and WLAN to internet both work just fine. Also, all wired port leds light up correctly according to connection type (100/1000), it's not like in another thread here where the leds were dead.

I'm wondering if this is a hardware fault - any way I could ensure this before I write off the router? I'm still hoping this is a "soft" issue, but for the life of me I can't see what to do.

Help greatly appreciated!

Many thanks, that special firmware did the trick! RMA'ing wasn't an option - this was a 4-5 year old device.

then flashed the latest stock firmware (3.0.0.4_380_7378)
how did you managed to get such stock firmware (3.0.0.4_380_7378)? Can you please get me a link? Cause no matter what it gets me only 3.0.0.4_378_5291. Can you place a backup somewhere in the cloud and get a link here? Correction: I'm refer to RT-N56U B1 grade of router in question by the way

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!