What's new

HELP needed: AC88U got bricked due to uploading an AC68U CFE

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

7starz

New Around Here
I would say it is really weird and stupid to write an AC68U CFE to AC88U. But i did it.
Sorry the story is a bit confusing but I know i need to explain what happened, before some experts here could help me. So, here it goes...

I have AC88U*1 and AC68U*1 (which was TM-AC1900 and I got it from someone else. It was flashed to AC68U before I got it).
I was always using Merlin and recently I noticed 384.14 was released with Aimesh support. I decided to upgrade and use 88U as router and 68U as aimesh node. Both routers were upgraded successfully, while I cannot find the 68U node on 88U. I googled and noticed this may due to the CFE on 68U was not supporting aimesh. As directed (https://cfeditor.feng.si/) I modified the CFE and got the CFE file downloaded to my laptop.

As I have 2 routers, I connect my laptop to the 88U (via wifi) to connect to internet to search, and connect to 68U via LAN cable to do flash. (not at the same time, 1 connection at one time only) To flash the 68U, I need to disable WIFI (disconnect from 88U) and connect LAN cable manually to 68U. But the sad thing is, after I download the modified CFE for 68U, i forgot to disconnect the WIFI and connect LAN... :(

Then i connect to 192.168.1.1, upload the CFE and use the command below:

./mtd-write new_cfe.bin boot

It wrote the 68U CFE to 88U...
At this point I suddenly realized what a stupid thing I just did... but i cannot revert it.
Now my 88U is not working and i cannot even ping it.

Could any guru give me any clue, how could I possibly save it?

Nothing you can do about it. I don't think any of the available JTAG tools support the RT-AC88U.

“I have AC88U*1 and AC68U*1 (which was TM-AC1900 and I got itfrom someone else. It was flashedto AC68U before I got it).”

Welcome to the forum.

And to make matters worse for you, there’s this:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/the-tm-ac1900-is-not-supported.48056/

This’ll be one Christmas you won’t forget in a while. Most of us have done similarly daft things; I’ll wager you were distracted or mithered at the time.

“I have AC88U*1 and AC68U*1 (which was TM-AC1900 and I got itfrom someone else. It was flashedto AC68U before I got it).”

Welcome to the forum.

And to make matters worse for you, there’s this:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/the-tm-ac1900-is-not-supported.48056/

This’ll be one Christmas you won’t forget in a while. Most of us have done similarly daft things; I’ll wager you were distracted or mithered at the time.
Thanks for the reply.
As you see in the topic, im asking support for ac88u, not 68u. will be grateful if any help provided.

Also, the RT-AC88U is encrypted BTW...

what means "encrypted"? the CFE itself on 88U is encrypted?

Sorry, I meant the CFE.

does any UART or JTAG method available to flash a new CFE ?

There's a JTAG interface, however I don't think it's documented or supported by any of the JTAG projects. And you'd still be stuck without a valid CFE To flash to it.

Sorry, I meant the CFE.

There's a JTAG interface, however I don't think it's documented or supported by any of the JTAG projects. And you'd still be stuck without a valid CFE To flash to it.
thanks so much for the explanation. I will try RMA first (and the last chance).