What's new

Help needed with NAS backup options

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Patrick9876

Regular Contributor
Alert: rambling post. But I do eventually ask some questions.

I have 3 NAS devices - a small QNAP TS-128A with a pulic share (accessed by 4 Windows systems), a 3TB Synology DS218 with private shares containing backups of the same 4 Windows systems, and a 6TB Synology DS218 in a somewhat sheltered location containing backups for the other two NAS - no SMB access from Windows.

Since the two devices with public and private shares are accessed by SMB I consider them vulnerable to ransomware attacks and would like to take backups of them only if they have not been attacked.(Paranoia perhaps - I have no reason to I would be a victim of ransomware, and it has never happened ... yet.) The public NAS has lots of low-lying fruit for a ransomware attack - .txt files, etc. It should be easy to check if some had been encrypted, renamed, or otherwise molested. And I could easily put similar "validation" files on the private shares. All I need to do is test those files and prevent backups if they have been corrupted.

However, I have not found a way to incorporate such a test into backup software available on either the QNAP or Synology devices.

Synology DSM allows for user-written scripts so I could invoke rsync, wget, etc. from a script that first checks the files. But those just create a sync'ed copy of the source (I think). I would prefer to use true backup software that saves multiple backup generations. Synology has (at least) one such package, but I don't think it can be invoked from a script.

I've asked on two Synology forums if I've missed a capability to do what I want or a package that does what I want. So now I'm asking here. Is there something?

As near as I can tell, QNAP QTS has even less capability. It has no support for user-written scripts. People do SSH into the device and add their own scripts so I guess I could do that, but I can picture doing more harm than good. On the other hand, there seems to be no backup capability to a non-QNAP NAS so I think the "backup" I'm taking is just an rsync copy. I probably could to that in a script if I am brave enough. Or I could just continue to blindly do a sync to the Synology NAS, but the test and a real backup there.

So I guess I have a number of questions:
  1. Is there Synology backup software that can be invoked from a script?
  2. Or is there a way to invoke a DSM application from a script whether or not the application expects to be invoked that way?
  3. Or is there a way to change a DSM scheduled "system" task (as opposed to a user task) into a triggered task? (And can a simple validation script pull the trigger?)
  4. Am I missing other completely obvious solutions?

I can only speak directly to the QNAP and NAS and backup in general.

QNAP does have some anti-ransomware protection. No idea how good it is, but I run it on mine just in case.

As a general plan, I sequentially copy files within a single NAS across volumes nightly. This provides a "backup" copy to protect against deletion, and minimal protection if only 1 of the 2 volumes is compromised in some way, at least until the nightly sync.

I do the same thing to a different physical NAS, also after a 24 hour delay (or a week for some folders) providing further separation in time and theoretically not all systems would be compromised at the same time (or at I would hope).

Further to that, critical files are synced to cloud storage both from the "live" system and from one that is a day or week behind providing offsite, delayed and offline backup.

Further to that, I use a usb cable and HDD (or a portable drive) to take snapshot images to be put in my safety deposit box, and swap those out every 6 months or so.

QNAP also has snapshot capability, but I've never used it.

User scripting is extremely simple on qnap vis SSH.

Rsync is a great tool to handle most, or all, of the copying syncing between NAS boxes.

I'm sure Synology has everything QNAP has.

Sorry, I didn't answer any of your questions, but may have given some ideas to think about.

Alert: rambling post. But I do eventually ask some questions.

I have 3 NAS devices - a small QNAP TS-128A with a pulic share (accessed by 4 Windows systems), a 3TB Synology DS218 with private shares containing backups of the same 4 Windows systems, and a 6TB Synology DS218 in a somewhat sheltered location containing backups for the other two NAS - no SMB access from Windows.

Since the two devices with public and private shares are accessed by SMB I consider them vulnerable to ransomware attacks and would like to take backups of them only if they have not been attacked.(Paranoia perhaps - I have no reason to I would be a victim of ransomware, and it has never happened ... yet.) The public NAS has lots of low-lying fruit for a ransomware attack - .txt files, etc. It should be easy to check if some had been encrypted, renamed, or otherwise molested. And I could easily put similar "validation" files on the private shares. All I need to do is test those files and prevent backups if they have been corrupted.

However, I have not found a way to incorporate such a test into backup software available on either the QNAP or Synology devices.

Synology DSM allows for user-written scripts so I could invoke rsync, wget, etc. from a script that first checks the files. But those just create a sync'ed copy of the source (I think). I would prefer to use true backup software that saves multiple backup generations. Synology has (at least) one such package, but I don't think it can be invoked from a script.

I've asked on two Synology forums if I've missed a capability to do what I want or a package that does what I want. So now I'm asking here. Is there something?

As near as I can tell, QNAP QTS has even less capability. It has no support for user-written scripts. People do SSH into the device and add their own scripts so I guess I could do that, but I can picture doing more harm than good. On the other hand, there seems to be no backup capability to a non-QNAP NAS so I think the "backup" I'm taking is just an rsync copy. I probably could to that in a script if I am brave enough. Or I could just continue to blindly do a sync to the Synology NAS, but the test and a real backup there.

So I guess I have a number of questions:
  1. Is there Synology backup software that can be invoked from a script?
  2. Or is there a way to invoke a DSM application from a script whether or not the application expects to be invoked that way?
  3. Or is there a way to change a DSM scheduled "system" task (as opposed to a user task) into a triggered task? (And can a simple validation script pull the trigger?)
  4. Am I missing other completely obvious solutions?

Do you want to prevent backups of corrupted sources to prevent overwriting uncorrupted backups... because you do not have enough backup destination space to store a history of backups over time?

OE