What's new

Help needed with WAN Speed Drop to 100Mbps

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Aircub

Occasional Visitor
I have the following Setup.
  1. Virgin SuperHub 3 operating in Modem Mode
  2. 60M of external CAT5E cable running to
  3. Asus RT-86U Running Merlin
The reason for the config is the Virgin SuperHub is in a garage and the Asus is in a Log cabin 60m away whilst main house is being built.

The problem is that my ethernet speed drops from 1Gbps to 100 Mbps. I have checked both plugs of the cables and the sockets and they are all clean. If I do a line test using a simple cable tester all 8 lines are showing correct and the speed return to 1Gbps for a while before dropping.

It was suggested on another forum that I should instal a simple switch so I bought a TP-Link TL-SG105S 5-Port Desktop Gigabit Ethernet Switch, and put this at the Virgin Box end. All was working great speed stayed at 1Gbps all day, checked this morning back down to 100 Mbps.

I have just done the line check again, it was back at 1 Gbps for about 5 mins then dropped back again
upload_2020-1-27_9-39-1.png

Now I presume this is a speed negotiation problem maybe due to the cable, am I right? If so is the only choice to replace the cable?

Try putting the switch at the other end of the cable.

In your other thread you said the problem was caused by a "Mobile phone signal booster". Presumably that statement isn't true?

I'm guessing you never did the "short cable" test that I suggested in the other thread?

In your other thread you said the problem was caused by a "Mobile phone signal booster". Presumably that statement isn't true?

I'm guessing you never did the "short cable" test that I suggested in the other thread?

Well I thought it was the Mobile Phone Booster because when I took it off the line stayed at 1 Gbps, when it dropped back I decided to get the switch. As I said initially I thought everything was OK as the line stayed at 1Gbps but this morning back to 100Mbps. I did try your short lead suggestion and it was steady at 1Gbps.

Ok will give that a try, why would it make a difference??

Ok will give that a try, why would it make a difference??
It probably won't make a difference. It's just possible that one or other of the devices might have more "drive" or better signal handling. The main thing is that it doesn't cost anything to try.

But ultimately I suspect that you need to replace the cable with something of better quality. 60m is pushing your luck if you're using cheap generic cable. You've never said what make of cable you're using.

How are you running the cable? For example, you should avoid running it alongside any other cables like mains power. If it's buried in the ground it should also be inside a pipe to protect if from the elements and being crushed. It should also be rated for "external" use.

https://www.universalnetworks.co.uk//copper-network-cables

It probably won't make a difference. It's just possible that one or other of the devices might have more "drive" or better signal handling. The main thing is that it doesn't cost anything to try.

But ultimately I suspect that you need to replace the cable with something of better quality. 60m is pushing your luck if you're using cheap generic cable. You've never said what make of cable you're using.

How are you running the cable? For example, you should avoid running it alongside any other cables like mains power. If it's buried in the ground it should also be inside a pipe to protect if from the elements and being crushed. It should also be rated for "external" use.

https://www.universalnetworks.co.uk//copper-network-cables

The cable is a Cat 5e External cable, but it is generic. I am looking to make a more permanent connection to the cabin so will look for better cable and conduit. BTW Switch is on the other end and speed holding good at the moment.