What's new

Help newbie setting up vpn

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Amacron

Occasional Visitor
Can anyone help me with a set by step set up of a vpn. I am currently running merlin 32 firmware. My goal is to be able to run multiple devices as though i am in my home network.

Thanks

first you have to choose which kind of vpn you are going to use.
as far as i know pptp and openvpn are available with merlin's firmware.

And PPTP is already quite a long time not longer secure, so I don't recommend it to you.

But, there is always a but, with OpenVPN there can at least with apple's IOS devices, only be connected with tunnel. That means you still can access devices in the local LAN, but everything relying on broadcast traffic will certainly not work.

Setting up openvpn is very well documented at different places on the web. You need to make certificates, and import them. So where are you hitting the wall?

I would be using an ios device to connect. Iwant to be able to stream as though im on my home network.

Assuming you go with openvpn as server it will work with streaming media IF traffic is based on routing, and streaming platform in on same vlan as your internet connection.

For example: at my homesite this works with my iptv provider for streaming media clients on iphone/ipad/wwindows, but NOT on a decoder placed at another site.

Sorry the answer is not simply: that will work

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!