What's new

Help required with static route RT-AC86U Merlin

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

foz

Occasional Visitor
Main router 1
RT-AC86U Merlin 384.13 FW
local IP 192.168.49.254 main gateway
running OpenVPN server & OpenVPN client PIA with strict PBR & working very well and has for sometime.

i need a static route so any device can access other devices on another subnet.
Can the Asus rt-ac86u handle natt'ing across another subnet?

Router 2
R7000 DD-WRT FW
Local IP 192.168.12.1 gateway
running OpenVPN client NordVPN

(Why you may ask, this router is located in our flat next door where my daughter lives with her family)

i have tried entering enabling static route into the Asus router,
Host IP: 192.168.12.0
Netmask 255.255.255.0 (tried this 255.255.0.0 & 255.255.255.255)
Gateway: 192.168.12.1
Metric: 3 (tried this blank and 1,2 etc)
Interface: LAN

tried testing with disabling all router firewalls but beginning to think i am either doing this the wrong way around or this router will not NAT across different subnets.
Please be kind i am still learning lol

Thanks in advance

NAT would be performed by the R7000.

How is the R7000 connected to your Asus?

Assuming the R7000 is in "router mode" and it's WAN interface is connected to your LAN, what is the R7000's WAN IP address?

Hi Colin thank you for your reply,
Currently: BT Modem to Asus WAN then Asus LAN to R7000 WAN all hardwired with Ethernet cable No wi-fi active on either router as we use BT wholehome disc's

R7000 set up as gateway

DHCP running on both routers
its working well and has been for some time it's only recently i've need to access across the subnets hence me trying to configure this.

Thanks for the info. There are normally two slightly different ways of connecting two different subnets. However I'm not sure whether your multiple VPN setups will interfere with that.

Do you want devices on the 192.168.12.x to be able to connect to devices on the 192.168.49.x as well as the other way around?

Either way, the static route on the Asus should be:

Host IP: 192.168.12.0
Netmask 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.49.??? < This is the WAN IP address of the R7000.
Interface: LAN

Other changes will be required but this is the starting point.

I think i see the issue, i had set the gateway in static route to LAN IP not WAN IP i will give that a go now thanks Colin

Added: i can now ping from .49.x to .12.x subnet however i am still unable to access the router GUI on 12.1 from pc on .49.x I've tried turning off all firewalls and VPN's possibly ports now.

Added needed to allow web gui management now i can access the DD-WRT router from my subnet thanks
Thanks again

Last edited: