What's new

HELP- RT-AC88U no firmware update 3 years

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sharp101

Occasional Visitor
Hello! an old router was given to me an ASUS RT-AC88U and according to the previous owner they have not updated the firmware since they bought the unit 3 years ago. They tried it once, but they lost once of the channels (5GHZ). They reverted back to factory setting and never updated the firmware again.

This is the existing firmware installed 3.0.0.4.384_20942. I need some help on what to do next. Should I updated the latest merlin firmware for this unit given that it's been ages since it was last updated. I'm not a tech guy so need some guidance here. I read that some firmware update actually causes issues.

Any inputs on this will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Depends on what you need. If you want to run my firmware, just flash the latest release available, and do a factory default reset afterward. Likewise if you want to stick to the stock firmware, flash the latest firmware available from Asus, then do a factory default reset afterward.

Flashing the latest of either without resetting your settings might work, but it's hard to be sure, so since you are getting a second hand router, you'd want to clear its existing settings anyway.

Thank you for your response. I prefer your firmware. Someone mentioned to me that since it's been years that the firmware got updated that it will need a mid update before updating to the latest firmware. Is it accurate?

or I can just go ahead and update with the latest firmware even though the router has not been updated since it was acquired 3 years ago?

Sorry for the question if this is elementary. I'm not really familiar with this stuff so just making sure. ;-)

You can just upgrade to the latest. Just make sure to do a factory reset AFTER the upgrade is finished.

that it will need a mid update before updating to the latest firmware. Is it accurate?

This is only the case for the RT-AC68U among the models that I support

This is only the case for the RT-AC68U among the models that I support

Thank you. I tried what updating and so far so good. So if I decide to get an out of the Box RT-AC68U should I do that mid update or can I just Go ahead and flash the latest firmware? Trying to see if I need a mesh setup.

Thank you. I tried what updating and so far so good. So if I decide to get an out of the Box RT-AC68U should I do that mid update or can I just Go ahead and flash the latest firmware? Trying to see if I need a mesh setup.

so far so good after downloading the firmware. but what does this mean saw this in the log?

Sep 8 14:58:12 acsd: There are still associated scbs, avoid channel switch(txfail_thresh)
Sep 8 14:58:16 acsd: There are still associated scbs, avoid channel switch(txfail_thresh)
Sep 8 14:58:16 acsd: There are still associated scbs, avoid channel switch(txfail_thresh)
Sep 8 14:58:20 acsd: There are still associated scbs, avoid channel switch(txfail_thresh)

Try manually selecting a channel for wireless instead of "Auto".

Try manually selecting a channel for wireless instead of "Auto".

Hi Thank you for your reply. Tried manually selecting but its still showing up on the logs. My internet speed and all are fine. I'm just wondering what this log is all about and will it cause any issues down the road. it seems to register a log every minute. apologies as im a noob when it comes to routers.

8 21:22:53 acsd: There are still associated scbs, avoid channel switch(txfail_thresh)
Sep 8 21:24:45 acsd: There are still associated scbs, avoid channel switch(txfail_thresh)
Sep 8 21:25:21 acsd: There are still associated scbs, avoid channel switch(txfail_thresh)
Sep 8 21:25:44 acsd: There are still associated scbs, avoid channel switch(txfail_thresh)
Sep 8 21:26:40 acsd: There are still associated scbs, avoid channel switch(txfail_thresh)

I think i typed too quickly. I think it's gone now replaced by this message which I have no clue what this means.

21:29:38 kernel: nvram: consolidating space!

All of these messages are perfectly normal, just ignore them.

I think i typed too quickly. I think it's gone now replaced by this message which I have no clue what this means.

21:29:38 kernel: nvram: consolidating space!

Welcome @sharp101 - your initial post above was a flash-back for me when I first joined this illustrious forum back in Feb 2018.
I have learnt so much since then and have been amazed by the magic that RMerlin enables in our Asus Routers.

Now that you have installed the latest Merlin-ware, I recommend that you kick off with this thread posted by @L&LD ...
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/amtm-step-by-step-install-guide-l-ld.56237/#post-483421

That will help you unlock [with ease] a whole host of useful add-ons [see my signature].

Welcome @sharp101 - your initial post above was a flash-back for me when I first joined this illustrious forum back in Feb 2018.
I have learnt so much since then and have been amazed by the magic that RMerlin enables in our Asus Routers.

Now that you have installed the latest Merlin-ware, I recommend that you kick off with this thread posted by @L&LD ...
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/amtm-step-by-step-install-guide-l-ld.56237/#post-483421

That will help you unlock [with ease] a whole host of useful add-ons [see my signature].

Thank you!!