What's new

HELP ! Set Asus-Merlin as Master Browser

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rackofnetman

New Around Here
Asus AC87U
Merlin 384.5

I specifically installed Merlin as I saw it advertised that it could act as master browser. I can't find the process to do this.

Please tell me how to set Merlin 384.5 as master browser for my home network (8 PCs and three Raspberry PI)

Asus AC87U
Merlin 384.5

I specifically installed Merlin as I saw it advertised that it could act as master browser. I can't find the process to do this.

Please tell me how to set Merlin 384.5 as master browser for my home network (8 PCs and three Raspberry PI)
It's under usb applications on the samba tab.

Ok. Found it. I would have never looked there. Thank you.
It is located there because samba has to be enabled for it to work right. If you had samba off and tried to enable just Master Browser it would auto enable samba.

Set the Asus Merlin to be master browser and it worked first time. Very neat. Solves several problems with flaky Windows and network browsing. Thank you for the guidance.

Set the Asus Merlin to be master browser and it worked first time. Very neat. Solves several problems with flaky Windows and network browsing. Thank you for the guidance.
Windows 1803 deprecated most smbv1 functionality. May want to look into a replacement.

Flakey alright... I have Windows 10 and nothing showing.
I have now enabled Master Browser.. Could that improve things?
I was hoping to just go under 'Network' in Explorer and see the Samba shares.

Is there a way to share a root directory 'movies'? Currently I have to enable all directories under that individually.

Flakey alright... I have Windows 10 and nothing showing.
I have now enabled Master Browser.. Could that improve things?
I was hoping to just go under 'Network' in Explorer and see the Samba shares.
Have you re-enabled SMBv1 client support in Windows 10 after the recent Windows updates turned it off? There are multiple posts here and elsewhere on the internet about this.

Is there a way to share a root directory 'movies'? Currently I have to enable all directories under that individually.
No, that's the way Asus designed it (yeah, it's stupid). Actually you can share a root directory but you have to turn on "Allow guest login" which then shares everything to everybody without restriction.

Actually, I don't think that part is Asus, but standard Linux convention (You can't share the root with a password).
Hmm, I don't think so. I've just tried it by manually editing smb.conf and it worked without problem.

EDIT: Just to be clear, we're talking about the root of the USB drive not /.

EDIT 2: Maybe you're right and there is a "convention" (which I haven't come across) rather than an actual restriction.

Last edited:
Yeah the first directory called "movies" rather than the multitude of second level directories.

If I have to move it to a second level directory called Movies then so be it.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!