What's new

HELP: Setting a router between N66U internet modem

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mozbius

Occasional Visitor
My end goal is to split traffic on two routers. Router 2 (a N66U is not directly connected to internet and is running a VPN client). Router 1 (a LinkSys) would be simply connected to the internet modem (while Router 2 would be connected to Router 1 to get internet connectivity ).

Is that even remotely possible to setup routers as explained above in order to enjoy the commodity of being anonymous on the internet while connected to Router 2 would allow a bit faster connectivity because the router would not use a VPN coverage?

Is that even remotely possible to setup routers as explained above in order to enjoy the commodity of being anonymous on the internet while connected to Router 2...
Yes that would work. It's not an unusual setup.

...would allow a bit faster connectivity because the router would not use a VPN coverage?
Sorry, I don't understand what you're asking. Can you phrase it in a different way.

Yes that would work. It's not an unusual setup.

Sorry, I don't understand what you're asking. Can you phrase it in a different way.

Oh sorry I was half asleep. What I was trying to ask is if it is possible to have router 2 running a VPN client (N66u) and router 1 running no VPN client (linksys). The end goal is to be able to securely connect my iPhone to router 2 (N66u) and connect laptop to router 1 (LinkSys) fully visible.

The reason why I am asking is because :
1- The VPN client (PrivateInternetAccess) doesn’t want to connect in my N66U anymore.
2- For some odd reason FaceTime on the iPhone doesn’t seem to work either.

There should be no problem running the VPN client on the N66U in that configuration.

1- The VPN client (PrivateInternetAccess) doesn’t want to connect in my N66U anymore.
I can't remember if it was PIA, but there have been a few posts recently from people who's VPN clients stopped working. The solution was to download the current configuration file from the VPN provider.

Oh sorry I was half asleep. What I was trying to ask is if it is possible to have router 2 running a VPN client (N66u) and router 1 running no VPN client (linksys). The end goal is to be able to securely connect my iPhone to router 2 (N66u) and connect laptop to router 1 (LinkSys) fully visible.

The reason why I am asking is because :
2- For some odd reason FaceTime on the iPhone doesn’t seem to work either.

Use the PIA configurator for a current file. It will set port, encryption and server.

https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/pages/ovpn-config-generator

Alright for others who may end up in a similar situation as mine... I have reached out to Asus to see what were their thoughts in regard of why the router RT-N66U router VPN client would not connect successfully to PIA (PrivateInternetAccess) when the router is set as a secondary router (meaning not set as an Access Point).

The problem appears to be caused by a situation of double NAT (because the primary router which is a LinkSys E2500 in my case has NAT enabled). So I will have to figure out how to work this double NAT issue if I want to make the integrated VPN client settings to work on the RT-N66U router.

The problem appears to be caused by a situation of double NAT (because the primary router which is a LinkSys E2500 in my case has NAT enabled). So I will have to figure out how to work this double NAT issue if I want to make the integrated VPN client settings to work on the RT-N66U router.
I have to say that sounds like B.S. from Asus. Double NAT would indeed be a problem if you were setting up the VPN server on the router but you're not, you're setting up a VPN client. I suspect you'd get better information by contacting PIA rather than Asus.

EDIT: You never actually gave any details (e.g. log files) of the problem you have with the VPN client.

The issue sounds like configuration to me as my setup is more or less the same, and it works.

I suspect that any client connected to your n66u can't connect to the internet even without the VPN stuff enabled.

Maybe you can start with describing your setup from a port / cable view. I.e. what is plugged in where?

Get it all working without the VPN configured first, then add that 8n at the end.

The issue sounds like configuration to me as my setup is more or less the same, and it works.

I suspect that any client connected to your n66u can't connect to the internet even without the VPN stuff enabled.

Maybe you can start with describing your setup from a port / cable view. I.e. what is plugged in where?

Get it all working without the VPN configured first, then add that 8n at the end.

Actually I do have internet connectivity weither I connect to router 1 or router 2. The issue here is really that on router 2 (the RT-N66U) I have a VPN client setup to work with PIA. It used to work fine when the router was alone. But now the girlfriend wants to go on Netflix too.

So I figured I could perhaps setup a main router without VPN (allowing the Netflix box to connect) and a secondary router (kind of like a Repeater / Access point) that would make use of a VPN (to anonymize anything connecting to it).

I have to say that sounds like B.S. from Asus. Double NAT would indeed be a problem if you were setting up the VPN server on the router but you're not, you're setting up a VPN client. I suspect you'd get better information by contacting PIA rather than Asus.

EDIT: You never actually gave any details (e.g. log files) of the problem you have with the VPN client.

I will come back with more details and logs. Perhaps you will be able to tell what I may have done wrong.

I use PIA in a double or even triple NAT setup and it isn't a problem to setup. The only problem I have had is when I was screwing around with my AC86 before I shipped it back and I reverted to the ASUS firmware PIA would not start. Did not spend a lot of time trying to figure out the problem as it works just fine using Merlin. Here is what I would suggest:

1. Upgrade to Merlin's firmware from ASUS. It is a little outdated now but it works. You could also look at John's fork but I have never used it.

2. Follow this link and download an OVPN file from PIA. Select the server you want and use Port 1198 as this is the minimal configuration and with an N66 you are going to need it. Not all options that they list on their configurator will work on ASUS routers.

3. After you download the resulting file to your PCs desktop go to the VPN client page and select client 1, click the button on the screen to upload a file, then add your user name and password. Then click apply then start if necessary. Done.

4. If you want you can check the box so this VPN client starts automatically. NO OTHER MODIFICATIONS ARE NECESSARY. If you want you can play around with other settings but I haven't found many/any that make and difference.

I use PIA in a double or even triple NAT setup and it isn't a problem to setup. The only problem I have had is when I was screwing around with my AC86 before I shipped it back and I reverted to the ASUS firmware PIA would not start. Did not spend a lot of time trying to figure out the problem as it works just fine using Merlin. Here is what I would suggest:

1. Upgrade to Merlin's firmware from ASUS. It is a little outdated now but it works. You could also look at John's fork but I have never used it.

2. Follow this link and download an OVPN file from PIA. Select the server you want and use Port 1198 as this is the minimal configuration and with an N66 you are going to need it. Not all options that they list on their configurator will work on ASUS routers.

3. After you download the resulting file to your PCs desktop go to the VPN client page and select client 1, click the button on the screen to upload a file, then add your user name and password. Then click apply then start if necessary. Done.

4. If you want you can check the box so this VPN client starts automatically. NO OTHER MODIFICATIONS ARE NECESSARY. If you want you can play around with other settings but I haven't found many/any that make and difference.

It never crossed my mind to flash a different firmware than stock on the RT-N66U as I find it to work good enough for me (Linksys firmware though I find hopeless and would replace with anything else in a heart beat). That being said it is something I may have to give a try...

Just to be clear I've applied a setup matching this :
https://www.wikihow.com/Connect-One-Router-to-Another-to-Expand-a-Network

And as a picture is worth a thousand words... :
(as seen in the attached picture some devices would be sitting behind a VPN others not... would anything like that even work?)
Network.png

No that won't work, and it's different from what we understood you originally said.

You need to connect the Linksys' LAN port to the Asus' WAN port. The Asus needs to be configured for "router mode".

Last edited:
You are not double NATed. As Colin said you need to connect LAN to WAN. Correct that and follow steps 2 -4 of my first post and see if the VPN works. If not then upgrade to Merlin, factory reset then repeat steps 2 -4.

It never crossed my mind to flash a different firmware than stock on the RT-N66U as I find it to work good enough for me (Linksys firmware though I find hopeless and would replace with anything else in a heart beat). That being said it is something I may have to give a try...

Just to be clear I've applied a setup matching this :
https://www.wikihow.com/Connect-One-Router-to-Another-to-Expand-a-Network

And as a picture is worth a thousand words... :
(as seen in the attached picture some devices would be sitting behind a VPN others not)
View attachment 18946
You are not double NATed. As Colin said you need to connect LAN to WAN. Correct that and follow steps 2 -4 of my first post and see if the VPN works. If not then upgrade to Merlin, factory reset then repeat steps 2 -4.

Wow ... So Asus support sucks (considering my inquiry apparently got escalated to engineers). I will give you Suggestion a go and come back for the results. If it works it may be valuable reference for others.

Wow ... So Asus support sucks (considering my inquiry apparently got escalated to engineers). I will give you Suggestion a go and come back for the results. If it works it may be valuable reference for others.

Ok so everything works now. Newbie error on my part. (FacePalm) So I cascaded the routers BUT this time changed network segments on the Routers. Router A (LinkSys) has now 192.168.2.1 instead of 192.168.1.2. Router B (RT-N66U) has remained at 192.168.1.1. I have reenabled DHCP on the secondary router (RT-N66U) and connected its WAN port to a regular LAN port of the main router (LinkSys).

VPN client works now but clients connected to either routers are not on the same network segment anymore.

Thank you ALL for your help. It is MUCH appreciated!

Last edited:

Not really. I'm sure you told them the same thing as you told us that you were double NATed.

Everyone hates it when the customer support makes you start at the beginning, is it plugged in, is the power switch on, are the cables plugged in, etc. ASUS support gave you the benefit of the doubt and didn't treat you like an idiot and when it turns out you didn't know what you were doing you want to shift the blame to them?

Not really. I'm sure you told them the same thing as you told us that you were double NATed.

Everyone hates it when the customer support makes you start at the beginning, is it plugged in, is the power switch on, are the cables plugged in, etc. ASUS support gave you the benefit of the doubt and didn't treat you like an idiot and when it turns out you didn't know what you were doing you want to shift the blame to them?

No. Actually it is them who said that I was double NATed (after level 1 support escalated my issue NOT on my request ). I pretty much did a copy and paste of my initial inquiry (but clearer as my first inquiry here was done half asleep) on this thread and even provided router logs + full router cfg file!!! NOTE: when I told them that I wanted to connect using the VPN Client in the router they made me setup the router as an Access Point?!? I am no aficionado of router setup but that I knew didn't make much sense but still I gave it a try and sure enough there was no VPN client setting when the router was setup as an Access Point.

So... Am I really shifting blame here?

FYI : I am myself a tech (just not a network tech) and so I know exactly what could go through their mind and made sure to provide much details of what I was doing and how (including port connection). So yeah I get it that some people may be annoyed by support... But I alson can tell when a support rep is going through a script and doesn't even care about going through the info that he is being provided (not to say that is what happened here). And I can tell also when a support rep may be only starting when nonsense is being suggested.

Last edited: