What's new

Help setting WRT54G V5 as AP with separate network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

douirc

New Around Here
Hello,

I want to extend the internet from my main router by using my WRT54G V5, but I want the extended network to be segemented from the main, with its own WiFi SSID and PW and not be able to access computers from the main router.

I ran an ethernet cable from the LAN port on my main router to the Internet port (WAN) of my Linksys WRT54G V5. I reset the Linksys to default settings and only changed one option, the Local IP Address from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.2.1, to avoid conflicting with the main router that is also 192.168.1.1.

I went to 192.168.2.1 and checked the Status > Router page and it shows it received an IP address from the main router, but I cannot access the internet:

Login Type: Automatic Configuration - DHCP
IP Address: 192.168.1.137
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1
DNS 1: 192.168.1.1
DNS 2: blank
DNS 3: blank
MTU: 1500

I thought maybe DNS wasn't working to resolve URL's, so under Setup > Basic Setup I tried switching Internet Connection Type from DHCP to Static IP and added the 8.8.8.8 to DNS 1, but internet still won't work.

Your help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

As described, it should have worked. No obvious errors that I can see. But given this is apparently oem/stock firmware, who knows what might be wrong. I assume the oem/stock firmware does NOT allow you to create firewall rules to prevent access to the upstream network (192.168.1.x) from clients of the downstream network (192.168.2.x). If so, then you may need to install third-party firmware to gain access to that feature anyway. FWIW, the following recent thread on the dd-wrt forums is attempting to achieve the same thing.

P.S. The only time I've seen this type of problem is with third-party firmware, when the downstream router has been configured in Router mode (rather than Gateway mode) on the WAN. But I'm not sure the oem/stock firmware even offers that option. And it certainly wouldn't be Router mode by default. And you indicated no other changes. Normally, just changing the LAN network is sufficient to make things work.