What's new

HELP ! setup 2 wireless router on 1 ISP

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

zambi

New Around Here
HELP ! setup 2 wireless router on 1 ISP

Hello -

I am looking for some help from all the network gurus here. I want to setup 2 physically separate wireless router on 1 ISP router on my home network.

Following is what I am looking for.

setup-jpg.13637

Also, I am not a networking person, so if I am asking for something stupid here please let me know.

If this is possible, please let how can I achieve this?

Thanks

Attachments

• SetUp.jpg
    SetUp.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 617
Your wireless modem is a wireless router.
You can accomplish what you want with one wireless router that supports VLANs. See the tutorials on this site to learn how to set up if your router supports it. Or replace with one that does.

The main issue with your proposed setup is interference between the two sets of wireless radios. Also, if your neighbors have wireless running, it may not be easy or possible to get it working well.

If you use only one set of radios, you will have a better chance.
You can also improve your chances by using wireless router that supports 5Ghz bands. Depending on your coverage requirements this may take more than one AP or wireless router set up as an AP.

There are several tutorials as well as many answered posts similar to yours on this site. Have you bothered to try to comprehend them ?

Your wireless modem is a wireless router.
You can accomplish what you want with one wireless router that supports VLANs. See the tutorials on this site to learn how to set up if your router supports it. Or replace with one that does.

The main issue with your proposed setup is interference between the two sets of wireless radios. Also, if your neighbors have wireless running, it may not be easy or possible to get it working well.

If you use only one set of radios, you will have a better chance.
You can also improve your chances by using wireless router that supports 5Ghz bands. Depending on your coverage requirements this may take more than one AP or wireless router set up as an AP.

There are several tutorials as well as many answered posts similar to yours on this site. Have you bothered to try to comprehend them ?

If you already have the two wireless routers and they aren't combination modem/router/AP you have the option to double NAT one router/AP behind the other. While some people will tell you never double NAT or it will cause you problems I run in that type of setup and it doesn't cause me any issues or significantly increase LAG.

Search the site has what you need to do to double NAT has been explained many times. It is simplier than trying to set up VLANs. Also if you come back with questions list the make and models of the hardware you are using.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!