What's new

Help to choose new router ac87u vs ac88u

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

galen2

Occasional Visitor
Hello, i will buy a new router next week and i dont know what to choose,

Now i have one AC66U, but is not powerfull enought to configure triple VLAN with automatic selection of LAN ports, if i configure the router that way i get pixelation and frezzes on IPTV, so i have to configure LAN1-2 to ethernet, LAN3 to IPTV and LAN4 to VOIP. I want IPTV with VLC on all computers so... new router.

Router will have samba to share basic documents on pendrive connected to usb port and OpenVNP enabled, NAS will share video/music via Kodi to computers.

My lan typology is this... router, AP-1 and AP-2 are on differents floors and all LAN is gigabit.

5bd923e76c970be66d520c4bdfff0e25o.jpg

I read somthing about bottleneck on LAN1 and WIFI 5G on AC87U so if i choose this router i think i will have to connect AP to LAN2-4 and TV to LAN1

Any tips/sugestions?

Thank you!!

Last edited:
Ac87u has finicky 5 ghz radio from its Quantenna design (long story)

Ac88u doesn't suffer any issues, and if you want to save $30-40, get the rt-ac3100, which is essentially a 4 LAN port version of the 8 LAN port AC88u, otherwise the hardware is the same.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

i asked to asus a few weeks ago about ac-3100 and it is not sold on my country... i live on spain and that router seems its only USA, my bad :S

I know ac88u its better router but is 119€ ($133) more expensive that ac87u. Here the prices are ac87u 189€ ($211) and ac88u 308€ ($344). What are the prices on USA?

I own one RP-AC68U and i willl try to link wifi with router using repeater mode with same ssid/channel/pass and roaming assistant and disable the "·&%&·" quantenna wifi on my EA-AC87U with 0 support from asus so still have the driver with draining battery phone bug, but its fixed on ac87U...

Thats the point.. to decide if i needs ac88u because ac87u cant handle my typology.

according to Amazon and Bestbuy in USA, $240ish or so for AC3100.

used market ranges from $150-200 for AC3100.

AC87u is cheap because of Asus's one time adventure with Quantenna, we see how well that went, and it's also an older model obviously.

Would AC68P three stream fit your purpose fine? it's 3 stream router, but still better CPU than your current AC66U. single core vs dual core.

Not only that, but there's many variants of the AC68p, in original 800 mhz dual core, 1 ghz dual core, and 1.4 ghz dual core.

https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/RT-AC1900P/

this specific variant is the 1.4ghz dual core, and will handle your traffic better, same 1.4 ghz dual core as AC 3100, only difference is 3x3 stream instead of 4x4 stream, but the amount of streams past 3x3 is kind of a moot point because there isn't really a lot of 4x4 clients, if any, and uncommon 3x3 clients, most clients is 2x2 or lower.

Nvm, even this 1900p is USA exclusive, but in general the AC68 3x3 series of routers is practically everywhere whether it's original AC68U with 800 mhz dual core or 1ghz or 1.4 ghz.

Some variant of it should be available in your country.

Last edited:
Hello, i will buy a new router next week and i dont know what to choose,

Now i have one AC66U, but is not powerfull enought to configure triple VLAN with automatic selection of LAN ports, if i configure the router that way i get pixelation and frezzes on IPTV, so i have to configure LAN1-2 to ethernet, LAN3 to IPTV and LAN4 to VOIP. I want IPTV with VLC on all computers so... new router.

Router will have samba to share basic documents on pendrive connected to usb port and OpenVNP enabled, NAS will share video/music via Kodi to computers.

My lan typology is this... router, AP-1 and AP-2 are on differents floors and all LAN is gigabit.

5bd923e76c970be66d520c4bdfff0e25o.jpg

I read somthing about bottleneck on LAN1 and WIFI 5G on AC87U so if i choose this router i think i will have to connect AP to LAN2-4 and TV to LAN1

Any tips/sugestions?

Thank you!!

yes dont get the rt-ac87u its problematic

look at ether the rt-ac3100 or rt-ac88u instead
to be honest its all a bit of a mess esp with the the daisy chaining of the rp-ac68u and ea-87u

have you got the ability to run ethernet from the router to the ea-87u location as this would be far better at balancing the load

i would prob also swap out those 2 and instead run switches with real access points

Any tips/sugestions?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!