What's new

Help to setup a small LAN network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ojade

New Around Here
Hello folks,
Please how to connect all these devices to this switch?
All the devices RJ45 cables are going to the Rack Patch Panel.
No internet connection will be involved.

Thanks in advance
1.png

Last edited:
Not too sure what you are really asking here. But since the locations are home run to a patch panel, can't you just cross connect that to your switch?

Not sure from the diagram what you imply by connecting the PCs to each other rather than each to the switch.

Also, without internet, not sure what you are referencing or expecting for "remote desktop connections".

Bottom line, I think you will need to provide more information in order to get more responses.

Hello thanks a lot,
I think my diagram is not clear. Here is a detailed explaination.
PC1 is a POS (point of sale).
Mobile Phones for taking orders from customers (they will use the Unifi AP to communicate with PC1).
The 4 Printers will be connected to PC1 via Ethernet (switch).
PC2 (the manager PC) will have Ubiquiti Unifi Controller software installed.
PC2 should communicate with PC1, PC3 and PC4.
All the RJ45 cables are coming from the devices to the Panel patch.
What I don't know is how to configure the ips and everything to make this communication/network.
Speed in transferring data is cruicial for me, so no third party devices will be connected neither Internet will be provided.
2.png

What still isn't clear to me is if you want to protect segregate PC2,PC3 & PC4 from customer's accessing your internal LAN. If you do you will need to set up VLANs

Also which PCs need to use the printer's as networked printers. It might be simpler to set up VLANs if some of the printers were dedicated to PC1 and other printers for the other PCs.

Also is there any reason you can't or don't want to run the Unifi controller software on PC1?

Also since you don't show a router in your configuration to handle DHCP assignments on the LAN, are all of your devices capable of assigning their own static IP using their native firmware?

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for your insights.
1- It's a good idea to protect my LAN. But those 4 mobile phones will be used by the staff only. The mobile phones have a pos app that communicates with the POS software (installed on PC1).

2- PC1 will use all of the 4 printers.
3- The reason was that I prefered Unifi controller to be installed on PC2 is because it's the manager's PC. PC1 is for the cashier, but it can be installed on PC1 if it's more convenient and less complicated.
4- Yes, all of them are capable of assigning their own static IP.

1. Pick a subnet that you want to use for your LAN. I suggest you select a less common one than the standard 192.168.1.0/24.
2. On every device assign a static IP from the subnet selected above. Be sure that you disable auto DHCP on every device.
3. Since there doesn't seem to be a need for VLANs don't bother.
4. If the unify controller has the option select that it can only be administered by PC2's IP. Also assign a strong password to the Unify controller.
5. Decide which files/folders are available to share on each PC and setup the share privileges.
6. Be sure that each printer on the network has a readily identifiable name. (First floor, lobby, warehouse, etc.)
7. Then just run an Ethernet cable from each PC, the printers and the controller back to any available port on the switch.

This should accomplish what you need. In the future if you need to segregate devices than you can set up VLANs on your switch.

Have you already bought the unifi? It might make sense to use something without a controller just to make it easier on yourself. The unifi stuff is good in a store it is easier to have WiFi on a router. That way your troubleshooting can be done by anybody in the office and not somebody who needs access to the managers computer and password.

what Remote Desktop application do you need?