1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Help to understand an error message on hdd

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by StefanoN, Jun 4, 2020.

1. StefanoN

StefanoN Regular Contributor

Hello
    After an update of Skynet with an error (I have seen the error go by quickly and it seems to me that it indicates filesystem in read only mode) I had to reboot my router rt-ac86u.
    After the reboot on the system log I see these messages:
    Jun 4 20:59:42 kernel: sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] FAILED Result: hostbyte=DID_OK driverbyte=DRIVER_SENSE
    Jun 4 20:59:42 kernel: sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Sense Key : Medium Error [current]
    Jun 4 20:59:42 kernel: sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Add. Sense: Unrecovered read error
    Jun 4 20:59:42 kernel: sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] CDB: Read(10) 28 00 04 40 00 28 00 00 20 00
    Jun 4 20:59:42 kernel: blk_update_request: critical medium error, dev sda, sector 71303208
    Jun 4 20:59:42 amtm disk-check: Disk check done on /dev/sda1
    Jun 4 20:59:42 hotplug: USB ext4 fs at /dev/sda1 mounted on /tmp/mnt/SSD
    Jun 4 20:59:42 usb: USB ext4 fs at /dev/sda1 mounted on /tmp/mnt/SSD.

The router is ok, but the messages seem to indicate a disk failure. Is it correct ? The hdd is a SSD, the router firmware is the 314.18

Thanks to all

2. ColinTaylor

ColinTaylor Part of the Furniture

Yes the error indicates that the router couldn't read sector 71303208 which usually indicates a failing HDD. It's a bit odd to see that with an SSD though. Perhaps the SSD was in sleep mode?

P.S. Check the cable between the router and SSD is secured properly.

3. StefanoN

StefanoN Regular Contributor

Thanks for the answer. The Enable HDD hibernation is set to NO.

To replace the SSD I should remove Skynet, entaware, swap file, and reinstall all on a new disk ?
    The others tools as Diversion and Yazfi ... seem installed on jffs/script

Thanks

4. OzarkEdge

OzarkEdge Part of the Furniture

FWIW, I got tired of seeing odd behavior from a USB HDD attached to my 86U. Issues included:
    o not knowing if it suffers during a router reboot or disruption;
    o random file system errors found when scanned by the router tool;
    o hobbled by USB 2.0 Mode since 3.0 Mode interferes with 2.4 GHz WLAN client stability;
    o not 100% compatible with Windows Explore usage;
    o requires using deprecated Windows SAMBA 1.0 client;
    o 'unexpected network errors' in backup software that otherwise has always performed rock solid locally and over the network.

So, I moved my USB HDD back to a local machine where it performs like it should without weirdness... you can't have storage misbehaving for indeterminate reasons.

OE

dosborne likes this.