What's new

[Help] Topology

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dhendodong

Occasional Visitor
Hi please help me regarding the proper topology i'm kinda confused,

ISP-MERLIN-10G Switch(10 G Devices)-2.5 Switch(2.5 G Devices)
..........................I
..........................L10G Router(another apartment)-AP
or

ISP-MERLIN-2.5 Switch(2.5 G Devices)-10G Switch(10 G Devices)-10G Router(another apartment)-AP

will it matter on which switch i put the WAN? BTW most internet hungry devices will be in the 10gb switch and 2.5gb devices are light user devices

what is not being considered above is the ISP up/down bit rate, ISP modem LAN port capability, WAN and LAN ports on the ASUS, the specific ASUS router.

Can you provide those details ?

What devices will be connected to the 10G switch and the 2.5G switch ?

What are those devices running that requires such bandwidth ?

What are the communication paths that require the high bandwidth ?

what is not being considered above is the ISP up/down bit rate, ISP modem LAN port capability, WAN and LAN ports on the ASUS, the specific ASUS router.

Can you provide those details ?

What devices will be connected to the 10G switch and the 2.5G switch ?

What are those devices running that requires such bandwidth ?

What are the communication paths that require the high bandwidth ?
apologies, yeah i forgot about that WAN speed is 800 up/down ASUS is gigabit

Device on 10GB network are seedboxes and NASes which also syncs data on the cloud but the most important here is the 10gb LAN speed because they backup data to another NAS on the same network and the device on the 2.5G is just normal PC/Phone that just browse the internet/youtube.

Thanks!

we are not able to comment on anything involving torrents due to potential activities and resultant legal threat to the SNB site.

The bottleneck will be the ASUS and the ISP obviously. Since you have highest bandwidth required (NAS to NAS backup) devices segregated already, it probably doesn't matter the order until the other bottlenecks are removed.

we are not able to comment on anything involving torrents due to potential activities and resultant legal threat to the SNB site.

Its for "Linux ISO's" LOL

so to simplify it, it doenst matter where i put the WAN as long as both asus and wan can both provide gigabit the switch will have no problem receiving it.

The WAN port on the ASUS connects to the ISP modem/router LAN port.
one or more of the ASUS LAN ports connects to your switches.
For now, the bottleneck to the internet will be the ASUS and the ISP.