What's new

[Help] WiFi Internet Problem on Win10

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tappa

New Around Here
Folks,
I have a ASUS RT-AC58U modem. I find that two of my Win10 Dell Latitude e7450 laptops connect to the Router but there is no internet (I see the yellow no internet error message). This problem is intermittent, i.e. sometimes I get Internet sometimes I dont. If I restart my computer / switch on / off my router it sometimes works.

If I connect to a Unifi Access Point connected to the ASUS router via ethernet cable, I have internet access. My Android phones connect to the ASUS AC58U & get internet access without any problem. My router has the latest default firmware.

Desperately looking for some help with this problem.

If the problem is with the 2.4 GHz set the bandwidth to 20 mhz on channel 1, 6, or 11

Sent from my P01M using Tapatalk

Thanks bbunge. I tried it but it didnt work. The problem is with both 2.4 & 5 GHz.

Any other suggestions.

Added Later:
I never had such problems with my old (2010) buffalo router. Seems like some settings in Win10 clashes with my ASUS router settings.

Last edited:
Look at the wireless driver as the most probable cause of problem. The router doesn't care what OS is used by the computers, but your wireless clients do.

Each release of Win 10 has required new or reinstalled WiFi drivers. The latest Creators Update meant I had to delete and reinstall WiFi drivers on 2 Acer laptops.

Thanks, but my laptop connects to a tri-band router nighthawk x6 r8000 at work & to my 4G WiFi dongle It worked smoothly my old Buffalo router also. It is only my ASUS router that my laptop refuses to connect to.

My suspicion is some default settings on the ASUS router is not compatible with my laptop wifi. Any possible settings I could play with either on my laptop or router?

The other alternative is flash the ASUS firmware with an opensource OS e.g Lede project, which seems the only compatible OS for this ASUS model. Suggestions?

I've never had problems with my W10 connecting to WIFI, never had to reinstall the drivers, change any settings, none of that. It's a Dell and just over a year old.

I'd venture a guess that your issue is the Intel 7265 AC wireless adapter that is in your Dell E7450's. The Intel drivers for their older AC internal adapters are notoriously finicky. The E7450's were originally designed to run Win7 and unless you've uploaded the latest drivers available from Intel (not from Dell, but directly from Intel), you're likely to continue to have issues, not with every wifi router, but certainly with the Asus model you are using. Not a problem with ASUS, but with the Intel AC7265 adapter driver.

The same issues were very prevalent with older Intel 7260AC internal wireless adapters, and you'll find tons of sites all over the internet where people complained about how bad these adapters were, claiming them to be defective. But they weren't defective at all and it was just a question of folks needing to experiment to find the right driver that consistently worked with the particular internal wifi adapter and their OS and other equipment. I ran into the issue when I replaced several 802.11n adapters in a couple of HP laptops with the AC7260's and it took me a while to find which driver worked best, but once I found it, they have worked flawlessly.

You can search for Intel drivers for the adapter in your E7450's---which should be the Intel AC7265's-- here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/83635/Intel-Dual-Band-Wireless-AC-7265

Did you check to see if you have any networking gear like a small "managed" hub (maybe POE switch for IP cameras) that might be sitting on your router address? This happened to me, and my router didn't detect it, so win10 laptops with newer AC Adapters were getting "secured no internet" notifications. Took me 3 weeks to detect that!!

Thanks Jegesq & MacMaven234. I was traveling & didnt get a chance to try the Intel Driver solution. Will try & get back.

Re. MacMaven234, I dont have any other gear like you mentioned. I have a Unify WiFi connected via LAN as range extender & a Smart TV connected via WiFi.

Sorry for the delayed update. I installed the latest drivers from Intel website for my Dell 7265 adapter. Now when I connect to my home router, I still get the "No Internet, Connected" message, but I get internet after about 4 - 5 mins.

So while it has improved, but it is still not ideal situation.

Would appreciate suggestions on what else I can try.

Try disabling U-APSD in the Wifi adapter settings, I had similar issues long back in Windows 7. There was a huge thread about 7260ac issues at Intel, this was one of the recommendations.

Also for those on Windows 10, the "Creators" update seems to have caused issues for some with newer drivers, solution was to use the older 17.05 or 17.15 versions if I recall correctly as even the 18.xx series caused issues.

Last edited: