What's new

Help with a challenge

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

th41004

New Around Here
OK ,I install wireless internet for a local WISP. For testing I run POE to a radio that picks up the AP, from the radio I run a CAT 5 cable to my laptop for site survey. This works well but it takes a person to aim the antenna and another to watch the laptop. I want to hook a cat 5 into my smartphone(tilt w/ windows mobile)to test for service.Can this be done?

Instead of connecting your laptop to the radio, couldn't you hook up an 11b/g AP and use your Tilt to connect via WiFi? Seems safer than contending with a cable run while dangling off the side of a pole. Providing power to the new AP may be a problem though, but you could just set up an adhoc connection between your laptop (current solution) and your phone.

Working at height with Ladders and on Roofs should always be a two person job anyway. Your safety is king, profit margins come a very distant second, I hope you are trying to make this a single person task for the right reasons, not because your boss asked you to cuts costs ?

Hi all ,thanks for the replys. I cannot connect via wireless because the radio is picking up the signal,not transmitting wirelessly. From the power supply I run a cable to the PC and POE to the radio.. It would just be alot easier for me to do this than have to communicate with someone on the ground.Thanks for your help.

Do they make a small wireless AP that would be small enough to make this feasible? I will be on a roof aiming an antenna and watching the PDA/phone. And would the AP be self contained or would I need additional cords for the power.Could you send me a link.I am sorry for all the questions,I am sure you can tell Im new at this.

Any USB AG radio will do, they can either work as a AP or client. I use the ZyXel AG-225H and SoftGate, along with others. Pretty cheap, no wires, pretty sure DLink, etc... have similar.

There are also quite a few hack tools to go along with the various products, always good to show your customer what "mean people" can do if they don't take precautions with their network, right there on the street with little more than a USB adapter...

Check out http://www.raulsiles.com/resources/wifi.html for lots of scary stuff to show perspective clients...

Do they make a small wireless AP that would be small enough to make this feasible? I will be on a roof aiming an antenna and watching the PDA/phone. And would the AP be self contained or would I need additional cords for the power.Could you send me a link.I am sorry for all the questions,I am sure you can tell Im new at this.

Where is the laptop person during the typical install? I'm under the impression that the second person would be on roof/ground level monitoring the connection while the other dials in the antenna. For this reason, I don't imagine the size of the AP would be a major concern, not nearly as much as power would be. Regardless, the D-Link DWL-G730AP is pretty tiny. If you're technically inclined, you could fabricate a rechargeable battery pack for it, or any AP for that matter. Personally, I'd opt for one with an external antenna jack for better coverage. If battery packs aren't feasible, and a power source isn't on hand, you could go with the option I listed earlier, using the laptop to relay a connection wirelessly to the Tilt. Doesn't reduce hardware, but it has the advantage of not tying down a second person.