What's new

Help with AC86 - 2.4G band vanished!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

hokiez97

Occasional Visitor
Noticed today my wireless printer was offline for no apparent reason. When I rescanned for networks, my wi-fi did not show up. Rebooted router and printer, no luck. Disabled "Smart Connect" on the router thinking maybe that was messing up the printer (even though it's worked fine for months). Now that I've separated out the 2.4 and 5 bands, only the 5 is showing up on any device. Even my guest network, which was set to use 2.4 only, is now gone when I look at available networks from any device.

So, anything I can do? Is there a way to verify if 2.4 is somehow dead?

Running 3.0.0.4.384_32799 Asus firmware.

Last edited:
Facing the same problem on my RT-86U. con you check if there is any Mac address displayed for the 2.4GHz in the Wireless-->WDS page?

Last edited:
Noticed today my wireless printer was offline for no apparent reason. When I rescanned for networks, my wi-fi did not show up. Rebooted router and printer, no luck. Disabled "Smart Connect" on the router thinking maybe that was messing up the printer (even though it's worked fine for months). Now that I've separated out the 2.4 and 5 bands, only the 5 is showing up on any device. Even my guest network, which was set to use 2.4 only, is now gone when I look at available networks from any device.

So, anything I can do? Is there a way to verify if 2.4 is somehow dead?

Running 3.0.0.4.384_32799 Asus firmware.

If the radio is not broadcasting when it should, then I would suspect a hard or soft failure. You can't fix a hard failure. The only thing I could do for a soft failure is to flush the system with a router reset... use Initialize within the router GUI... and reconfigure from scratch.

I have seen an 86U radio stop broadcasting and a reset fixed it.

OE

Try a complete electrical reset. Basically unplug the power, turn the router on while unplugged (to drain any residual charge), then plug everything back in.

Did a full factory reset/initialize and it looks like it's a hardware issue. Guess I'm about to find out how good Asus warranty support is.

Edit: Just noticed there are a few reviews of this router on Newegg that mention the 2.4G radio dying. Seems like a somewhat common issue, unfortunately.

Last edited:
Try a complete electrical reset. Basically unplug the power, turn the router on while unplugged (to drain any residual charge), then plug everything back in.
In my case there is no mac for 2.4Ghz any idea how to correct this issue?

In my case there is no mac for 2.4Ghz any idea how to correct this issue?

If there is no MAC and an electrical reset didn't work then it means the 2.4 GHz radio is dead.

Update - working with ASUS on an RMA. They didn't even ask me to try any other tests or anything which leads me to believe this is a known issue.

The 5G band has started to give me issues as well. Devices were failing to reconnect once disconnected. A reboot of the router has fixed 5G for now at least. Heading out tonight to get a cheap router to cover me while the ASUS is sent in for repair (they estimate about 2 weeks).

Really bummed about this after my N66 was rock-solid for so many years!

Update - working with ASUS on an RMA. They didn't even ask me to try any other tests or anything which leads me to believe this is a known issue.

The 5G band has started to give me issues as well. Devices were failing to reconnect once disconnected. A reboot of the router has fixed 5G for now at least. Heading out tonight to get a cheap router to cover me while the ASUS is sent in for repair (they estimate about 2 weeks).

Really bummed about this after my N66 was rock-solid for so many years!

When you return it - ask them if the power adapter should also be included...

Update: Asus says my router is unrepairable. They want to swap it with a 'recertified' unit. Quite a bummer for a 3 month old router. Wonder if there is any way I can insist on a new one? Anyone been through an RMA like this and have any tips?

Update on my saga: 12 days since ASUS said the unit was unrepairable and would be replaced with a refurbished unit. No ETA, they just called to say they don't know when they will have one to ship me.

Underwhelmed with the whole ASUS service experience so far.

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!