1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Help with Access Point/Repeater set-up

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by shelleyevans, Oct 16, 2018.

1. shelleyevans

shelleyevans Regular Contributor

Hi! I have recently switched from AiMesh to an access point/repeater configuration. Please forgive this very basic question-- I have never used either before:

I'm pretty sure that I set up the main settings-- AiProtection, DNS, etc, from the router. But there some settings that I have enabled on the router AND the access point and repeater, like roam assistant and Tx power adjustment. Is that correct?

I have searched and can't find any simple guidelines, probably because it's SUCH a simple question, like how do you turn on the router... On the other hand, I am stuck. If somebody could list the guidelines I would be very grateful. :confused:

2. Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!
  3. thiggins

thiggins Mr. Easy Staff Member

Are you Merlin firmware?

4. shelleyevans

Yes! I started out on Merlin, with an RT-AC68U, and then went back to stock when I expanded to an AiMesh system-- RT-AC86U, RT-AC68U, RT-AC-66U_B1. Then, after getting my feet wet with AiMesh, and running into some VOIP issues on stock firmware (problems I never had when I was on Merlin before), I ditched AiMesh/stock and returned to Merlin, on all three devices, in a Router/Access Point/Repeater setup. It works beautifully-- really, much better than AiMesh/stock for me. No problems with buffer bloat (which I couldn't control well with AiMesh/stock), no problems with VOIP quality. Probably more than you needed to know. :)

5. agilani

agilani Senior Member

Once you enable repeater most the settings on the repeater disappear, you can URL surf to the menu and still configure some of the wireless settings to your content.

Some basics
    disable MIMO
    disable airtime fairness
    disable any beamforming
    choose a channels for both 2.4(1, 6, or 11) and 5 ghz with the least amount of interference
    Use different ssid for 2.4 and 5ghz on the router
    Use different ssid for 2.4 and 5ghz on the repeater
    set a static address for the repeater that does not conflict with your dhcp scope (192.168.1.2 is always good)
    change the dhcp scope to reserve the first 10 addresses for static ip addresses ( 192.168.1.11 to 192.168.1.254)
    Use 5ghz or wired for back haul

After you get the repeater up and running, i personally recommend you go url surf into wireless settings for the repeater and set a different channel for 2.4 ghz from what was used for the router.

6. shelleyevans

Thank you for this!
    I now see that many of the options ARE gone in the repeater, and I trust that I am at no risk of borking the whole system by making redundant/extra changes. :)

7. agilani

agilani Senior Member

For the most part everything should work ok without any advanced configs which are now in hidden repeater menus. The worst thing you can do frankly is assign the same ip address to the repeater that is assigned to the router. As long as you avoid this, everything else can be fixed.

shelleyevans likes this.
Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!