What's new

Help with Actiontec WiFi Network Extender and Bonded MoCA 2.0 Network Adapter Setup

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Metsfan1190

New Around Here
New to this forum and hoping someone can help me make sense of all of this terminology and technology before I spend money on equipment. I sincerely thank you in advance for your time and hope I can return the favor some day!

I currently have AT&T 1000 Mbps fiber internet service. As is usually the case, AT&T installed the ONT where it was convenient to them, which places my Arris BGW210-700 router in a bedroom in the back corner on the first floor of a 3900sqft two story home. Needless to say, the Wifi is poor in many parts of the first and second floors. I have looked into mesh systems, but the house is wired for cable with coax jacks in many rooms and we use DirecTV for TV, so it is unused. I am about to install a smart TV in a second floor room that is as far away from the BGW210-700 router as it could be in the house, but with an available coax jack. In an effort to provide a wired internet connection to that smart tv and extend the Wifi in the house at the same time, I am looking into the Actiontec ECB6200 Bonded MoCA 2.0 Network Adapter for the second floor.

Assuming the coax between the room where the router is and the second floor room where the new TV will be installed are connected,
moca question.jpg
I am wondering if the attached picture would be the correct way to go about providing a wired connection to the second floor, while extending the existing Wifi as well.
fiIIThV

The room where the TV will be installed already has DirecTV bridge and wireless genie waiting. I would use a wired ethernet connection from the WEB6000Q to the TV for smart functions and the DirecTV would run on the Wifi signal from the WEB6000Q.

unless you know this is a direct coax run (point A to B) with no splitters or amps in the cable, you need to figure out the actual layout of the coax. Many times it will all originate from an amp or splitter near the cable entry point.

if the cable is not used at all, then you don't have to worry about interference from DirectTV etc. If there is shared cable, i don't think it will work or be easy. Certainly, the DirectTV antenna downlead and distribution to all of the boxes and DVRs should be isolated from what you want to do with MOCA2 if possible.

i think there are some earlier threads about working with DirectTV cable systems in this subforum.

Thanks degrub!!! I don't believe there is any sharing of cables between the Directv and coax wiring.

Assuming the coax is not a direct run between the jack in the room with the router and the jack upstairs, then would the ECB6200 need to be between the router and the amp/splitter? I have seen one of the earlier threads speaking to that point and will check it out again as well.

you have satellite antennas on the house somewhere, correct ?
If so, the downlink is across coax. My understanding is that the frequencies used overlap with MOCA2 and would not be compatible.

Yes, there is a dish on the roof. If that is the case, so much for that idea.....here I come Eero!

Thanks again degrub.

Another thought - i believe that ATT is offering the DirectTV channels over the internet via their streaming service ATT TV. might eliminate the issue.

Yes, there is a dish on the roof. If that is the case, so much for that idea.....here I come Eero!

Thanks again degrub.

If as previous posters said if Satellite is using its own link and not using the existing COAX you are good to go.

If you go with MOCA you need to trace your cable runs and find both ends.

If you only want a single MOCA run from Point A - Point B then instead of splitters join the cables together using barrel connectors.

With the your 1gig connection search this MOCA thread for some higher speed MOCA adapters for MOCA 2.5 that are offered by a frequent poster on this web site.

Another thought - i believe that ATT is offering the DirectTV channels over the internet via their streaming service ATT TV. might eliminate the issue.

Thanks for the tip. I had heard they were rolling this out, but it does not appear to be available in my area yet. If it weren't for Sunday Ticket being Directv exclusive, I wouldn't be married to them as a service.

If as previous posters said if Satellite is using its own link and not using the existing COAX you are good to go.

If you go with MOCA you need to trace your cable runs and find both ends.

If you only want a single MOCA run from Point A - Point B then instead of splitters join the cables together using barrel connectors.

With the your 1gig connection search this MOCA thread for some higher speed MOCA adapters for MOCA 2.5 that are offered by a frequent poster on this web site.

Thank you Captain. I am going to have to do some cable tracing for sure. I unfortunately thought MOCA was going to be an easy solution to get me wired in the far corners. I am glad I reached out to this forum to get a better understanding on it before I went an ordered the equipment.

have to do some cable tracing for sure. I

Buy a simple cable tester which will trace both COAX and Ethernet. Amazon has them for $25.

Put one person at the main distribution point where all the branches come together and another person at the cable outlet in a room.

Have the person at the outlet connect the sending unit while you, one by one connect the tester to all the cables until you find the one your helper is connected to. Then label the cable and have your assistant move to the next location.

Unless you live in Windsor Castle it should not take more than fifteen minutes to trace all the cables.

Buy a simple cable tester which will trace both COAX and Ethernet. Amazon has them for $25.

Put one person at the main distribution point where all the branches come together and another person at the cable outlet in a room.

Have the person at the outlet connect the sending unit while you, one by one connect the tester to all the cables until you find the one your helper is connected to. Then label the cable and have your assistant move to the next location.

Unless you live in Windsor Castle it should not take more than fifteen minutes to trace all the cables.

Thank you! Will do.