What's new

Help with complex VLAN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tyrion

New Around Here
Hi everybody,

I'm writing this post hoping that some of you gurus that are hanging out here will be able to help me with setting up a network that is kinda too complex for my modest networking knowledge. In a nutshell, what I am trying to do is setup access to all different services that I pay for, across different locations - I split my time during the year between US, Europe and Southeast Asia. You obviously get the basic problem - while I'm in US I can watch my Amazon Prime Streaming, while in Europe I have access to my IPTV box and while in Southeast Asia I can't do any of that. True, there are ways (that I'm currently using) to workaround restrictions (obviously using VPN service is easy way to access Amazon Prime on my primary laptop anywhere), but I want to solve the issue in a more robust way that won't involve running VPN software directly on every computer I own.

So what I envisioned is following:

1. I want establish one VLAN that would tie in all 3 locations so that I can access any device from any location directly over LAN.
2. I want that by default any computer/device in VLAN that goes out (Internet) uses HideMyAss VPN service I'm paying for. And if device is tied to HMA VPN and that VPN connection goes down for any reason - the device shouldn't be able to connect to the Internet.
3. Extending on #2 comes the really hard part for me - I want to be able to tie exit to Internet on any device to any ISP that services me (in US, Europe or SA). Say, I have a Roku box and I take it to Southeast Asia - I want to be able to say - OK, you are connecting to the Internet using exit in US so that I can watch Amazon Prime. Or, I take my IPTV box from Europe to US - I want to be able to set that box so that it is behaving as if it was located and connected to TV back in Europe. Or, I have my laptop and I don't want it to exit to Internet through HMA VPN, I want it to connect directly though ISP in location I'm currently at. (One idea I had was to flash to DD-WRT and use multiple wireless networks from same router - but now it's a question of can I direct traffic from one router to exit to ISP in another location?)

I have decent Internet connection in all 3 places (~30Mbit down/10Mbit up) so I think that speed won't be an issue. I've also already purchased one Asus RT66U to play with and while (with default firmware) I've been able to setup router to connect to HMA VPN, other stuff I mention here seem impossible - at least with default firmware. So, before getting into flashing router to DD-WRT for more poking with my limited knowledge, or shelling money for 2 more Asus RT66Us (should I buy them or some other router?), I just wanted to know if what I want is technically possible and if somebody can enlighten me with guide/information that'll help me with implementation.

Thanks in advance - I hope that somebody will be able to help me out.