What's new

Help with gnuton build for RT AX82 u

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

shadowthunder

Occasional Visitor
I'm noob i only ask for somebody tell me what i have to do with the gnuton build for my Asus RT AX82 u,i Flash and i don't see nothing new from the original Asus,can i need to put something else like add-on or i don't know what,the router is the same like the original firmware i don't see any improvement, thanks for helping

couple things:
Gnuton's version only works with Version 1 of the HW. for this model router.
If you are flashing from a windows system, make sure that the firmware file is not "blocked" (Right Click | Properties | General then look for "unblock" checkbox)

these two things just off the top of my head. That "unblock" thing vexed me to no end when I was first installing Merlin / Gnuton firmware versions.

couple things:
Gnuton's version only works with Version 1 of the HW. for this model router.
If you are flashing from a windows system, make sure that the firmware file is not "blocked" (Right Click | Properties | General then look for "unblock" checkbox)

these two things just off the top of my head. That "unblock" thing vexed me to no end when I was first installing Merlin / Gnuton firmware versions.
Thanks for that my friend but I didn't see nothing important on the gnuton build for me is the same like Asus,and my RT AX82 U is V1, what is the point too change the original Asus to gnuton this is the question,now I'm on the latest firmware of gnuton but is the same like Asus, any help, nothing new under the sun, everything is the same only in the top is the Asus Merlin and nothing else to compare the router work the same like Asus original firmware

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-06-03-18-48-28-28_4d38fce200f96aeac5e860e739312e76.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-06-03-18-48-28-28_4d38fce200f96aeac5e860e739312e76.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 54
I'm a noob i don't understand nothing how to use script and other stuff if any help i really appreciate
You need to ssh to the router in order to use the features that these firmwares offer.

https://www.howtogeek.com/311287/how-to-connect-to-an-ssh-server-from-windows-macos-or-linux/

Setup ssh access in the router from LAN only under Administration -> System

http://router.asus.com/Advanced_System_Content.asp

Once you have managed to ssh to the router you type amtm in order to install scripts.

For that reason my advice to you is to stick to stock Asuswrt firmware. If you find nothing on Internet how to install 3rd party firmware you'll perhaps have issues using the extra features it offers intended for more advanced users. What are you looking for and why do you want to replace the firmware?

You need to ssh to the router in order to use the features that these firmwares offer.

https://www.howtogeek.com/311287/how-to-connect-to-an-ssh-server-from-windows-macos-or-linux/

Setup ssh access in the router from LAN only under Administration -> System

http://router.asus.com/Advanced_System_Content.asp

Once you have managed to ssh to the router you type amtm in order to install scripts.
I don't understand nothing my friend, thanks but i don't know nothing about ssh, I'm only a simple user of Asus router

Indeed. In this case you are only looking for trouble. Just use your router with the firmware the manufacturer provided for it.

For that reason my advice to you is to stick to stock Asuswrt firmware. If you find nothing on Internet how to install 3rd party firmware you'll perhaps have issues using the extra features it offers intended for more advanced users. What are you looking for and why do you want to replace the firmware?
Because i come from a Netgear nighthawk router whit 3d party firmware and have all the things in the router apply that and these, everything are in the Netgear 3d party firmware and i Flash the gnuton because i think it's the same with everything build in the router but it's not, and I'm confused

Reverting is easy because Asuswrt-Merlin (fork) is stock Asuswrt base firmware with extra features - you flash it on top. You have to reset your router after to factory defaults and re-configure it manually. If you are comfortable to do so - go ahead. If you are not - don't touch. You didn't give an answer to my question what are you looking for? You want to replace the firmware for what exactly reason?

Reverting is easy because Asuswrt-Merlin (fork) is stock Asuswrt base firmware with extra features - you flash it on top. You have to reset your router after to factory defaults and re-configure it manually. If you are comfortable to do so - go ahead. If you are not - don't touch. You didn't give an answer to my question what are you looking for? You want to replace the firmware for what exactly reason?
Because i don't see nothing new in the gnuton build and the router work like on Asus firmware, nothing new under the sun,i don't see nothing new features on gnuton build everything is the same like Asus

You don't see nothing new because you don't know what to look for. The GUI looks almost identical to stock Asuswrt firmware.

Do you have it installed already or you are planning to?

The filename is RT-AX82U_388.2_2_0-gnuton1_puresqubi.w

You have to reset your router to factory defaults and re-configure it manually, remember?

Do you have it installed already or you are planning to?

The filename is RT-AX82U_388.2_2_0-gnuton1_puresqubi.w

You have to reset your router to factory defaults and re-configure it manually, remember?
Yes i have the latest firmware 822, installed and there's nothing new the router work like the original firmware of Asus nothing improvement

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-06-04-17-57-22-71_4d38fce200f96aeac5e860e739312e76.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-06-04-17-57-22-71_4d38fce200f96aeac5e860e739312e76.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 39