What's new

Help With iDevices HomeKit Enabled Switches Issues & ASUS AC3100/AC88u

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Wildcatz_1

Occasional Visitor
Hi there

I am seeing a number of issues with iDevices Homekit enabled products (HomeKit switches) and currently run across AC3100 and AC88u. I have tried isolation testing using other routers, configs etc and still see the same issues (disconnects of the devices, random drop offs non response to HomeKit apps, issues with pairing to WiFi etc) even with great signal to noise ratio in each location etc.

I am not ruling out (in fact quite conversely think the issue lies with the iDevices products FW at this time) the iDevices products themselves but was wondering if others have had similar issues and either a) have a workaround or b) have a setup/config that they have found most successful when running HomeKit devices across their networks involving ASUS AC routers.

Thanks all

One thing to try... disable IGMP-Proxy if it's already enabled...

Note that Asus is particularly Apple unfriendly when it comes to Bonjour based services...

@sfx2000 Yes already had IGMP snooping and proxy off. Thanks for the suggestion though !

Like I said, not saying the iDevices switches (idevicesinc.com) are not the problem, they very well could be but seems like there may be something else going on as well. Almost like routing isn't working correctly. For example when I connect the devices to a completely separate router (Netgear running DD-WRT) on its 2.4 band and then connect to the 5ghz band on the Asus AC88u it seems to take forever to find the device and the device (iDevice Homekit power switches) seem to drop off the network or go unresponsive. The same thing happens if I connect the iDevices products to the 2.4G band of the AC88u and I connect to the 5G band on it, again almost as if the Asus is truly having issues with Bonjour based routing. With that said, the other Homekit devices I have don't have any issue regardless which pushes me back again to it being an issue with the iDevicesinc Homekit products and in particular their firmware. Similarly I can ping continually the iDevices HomeKit products regardless of where they are connected on my infrastructure without any issue but commands (which iDevices relies on Bonjour for of course) and app response fail and I cannot control the device.

I was thinking I could try a few more things and wanted to run them past all here for any feedback:

1) Reset network settings on the AC88u (running as the router with the AC3100 as an AP) and setup from scratch.

2) Update the AC88u to Merlins FW and see if that helps resolve any of the bugs etc that may be in the stock FW (any thoughts on whether this helps the Apple 'issues' seen on the Asus routers or not ?).

3) Replace the Asus routers with an Edgerouter Lite and 2 x Ubiquiti AC AP's therefore removing ASUS from the equation completely. Maybe a hybrid with the Edgerouter Lite and using the Asus as AP's although if the Merlin option above doesn't help improve things then I would probably be seeing the same issues as I am with the Asus today although if the issue is truly routing related could clean this up

Thoughts ?

Thanks all

I use a rt-ac3100 as my main router and the rt-ac88u in access point with all SmartThings with no problems at all. I know they are not HomeKit but my setup works.

@jbodine74 Thanks for your reply. Yes I also have a SmartThings setup as well and that is sweet as a nut therefore brings me back to thinking this is iDevice or HomeKit related (Bonjour routing etc). One thing I did find strange is that I am seeing SSID's with a period (.) in them cause issues for certain HomeKit devices in initial pairing and connecting with regards to the AC88u & AC3100. I am also seeing routing between bands seemingly being an issue (iOT connecting to 2.4 and phones/other devices connecting to 5) where traffic passing between the 2 almost appears to be an issue. Granted this is with 1 AP being used for 5g in AP mode connecting to the AC88u in router mode running the 2.4G band.

It's very strange to see this and as you and I both mentioned, other 'smart' devices seemingly don't have an issue which does bring back the devices (iDevices Inc in this case) and the HomeKit protocol in to question.

Going to try switching out with a UBNT setup and testing on that as well, routers AP's etc

I use a rt-ac3100 as my main router and the rt-ac88u in access point with all SmartThings with no problems at all. I know they are not HomeKit but my setup works.

@jbodine74 Thanks for your reply. Yes I also have a SmartThings setup as well and that is sweet as a nut therefore brings me back to thinking this is iDevice or HomeKit related (Bonjour routing etc). One thing I did find strange is that I am seeing SSID's with a period (.) in them cause issues for certain HomeKit devices in initial pairing and connecting with regards to the AC88u & AC3100. I am also seeing routing between bands seemingly being an issue (iOT connecting to 2.4 and phones/other devices connecting to 5) where traffic passing between the 2 almost appears to be an issue. Granted this is with 1 AP being used for 5g in AP mode connecting to the AC88u in router mode running the 2.4G band.

It's very strange to see this and as you and I both mentioned, other 'smart' devices seemingly don't have an issue which does bring back the devices (iDevices Inc in this case) and the HomeKit protocol in to question.

Going to try switching out with a UBNT setup and testing on that as well, routers AP's etc
Take a look at this site: https://graph-na02-useast1.api.smartthings.com/login/auth
Cool behind the scenes info on your SmartThings.

Hi there

I am seeing a number of issues with iDevices Homekit enabled products (HomeKit switches) and currently run across AC3100 and AC88u. I have tried isolation testing using other routers, configs etc and still see the same issues (disconnects of the devices, random drop offs non response to HomeKit apps, issues with pairing to WiFi etc) even with great signal to noise ratio in each location etc.

I am not ruling out (in fact quite conversely think the issue lies with the iDevices products FW at this time) the iDevices products themselves but was wondering if others have had similar issues and either a) have a workaround or b) have a setup/config that they have found most successful when running HomeKit devices across their networks involving ASUS AC routers.

Thanks all
Hi
could you solve the problem?? I have THE SAME issue. My koogeek switchs are connected to AC-5300 and have random disconnections and i can turn on or off because the accessory isnt responding.

Thank you for your reply

I am sure this issue has been troubling a lot of people. I have spent a good 40 hours on this over the last 2 years since I bought this router - AC3100, trying to make my Brother and HP printers to work reliably. I have had no success until I saw a posted solution:

http://www.seriouslytrivial.com/201...d-airprint-wireless-printer-problem-solution/

So basically after you disable ASUS's fancy advanced "features", your printer will work.

Give it a try and see if it can become a general solution.

James