What's new

Help with installing Entware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SilentStorm

Regular Contributor
Hello,

I'm interested in installing Entware on my Asus ROG GT 2900 so that I can install CakeQoS

First thing I did was install amtm. I've done that. I've then rebooted my router. I've followed all the instructions above that, and I have the Flash Drive formatted as NTFS in my router.

Every time I put the command in, I get this message.

admin@GT-AC2900-3160:/tmp/home/root# /jffs/scripts/amtm
-sh: /jffs/scripts/amtm: not found

When I launch amtm and put the /jiffs/scripts/amtm command in, I get a similar message.

Enter option /jffs/scripts/amtm

input is not an option

Also, quick question for when I install it, does the flash drive have to be in the router at all times?

Here is the guide I'm using: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/amtm-step-by-step-install-guide-l-ld.56237/#post-483421

I'm guessing where I'm going wrong is preparing the drive for swap file, etc, as I'm unable to get the /jiffs/scripts/amtm command to work.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

AMTM is now part of Merlin's software, so you should not have had to install anything to get AMTM working.

What do you get when you enter just "amtm" without any path info?

EDIT: Once in AMTM, choose the option to install Entware

Last edited:
AMTM is now part of Merlin's software, so you should not have had to install anything to get AMTM working.

What do you get when you enter just "amtm" without any path info?

EDIT: Once in AMTM, choose the option to install Entware
How do I enter amtm then? Sorry, this is all new to me.

Also, since it is installed, do I need to use a flash drive still?

Appreciate your reply.

Hello @SilentStorm, I hope the following steps help.

I'm assuming you're running RMerlin 386.1_0 or later, on your GT-AC2900.

Remove any USB drives you have attached to the router.

Check the box that says to 'Format the JFFS partition on the next boot...'. Be sure you hit 'Apply' at the bottom of the page.

Reboot the router 3 times in the next 15 minutes. Waiting 5 to 10 minutes between reboots.

The rest of the steps in the amtm Step-by-Step guide will guide you properly. Just ignore the 'installing' amtm section for the reasons @Jeffrey Young has stated above.

AMTM is only the launch pad. You should be able to start it at the router command prompt (SSH into your router) just by typing "amtm".

You should get a menu now. I think the menu option "ep" is what you want to choose to install entware.

You still need a USB key as Entware will be installed to the USB Key. Same with a lot of other oddons that can be installed via amtm once entware is installed.

amtm will have options as well well to format your USB key to ext4, which is required if you want to set up a swap file (also done via amtm). The swap file is required by a lot of addons as well, including skynet and diversion.

Should also note that you will have to have user scripts enabled on the administration->system
page of the router

Appreciate both your responses @L&LD and @Jeffrey Young.

Just ordered a different flash drive as I'll need the other one, considering this flash key I'll have to keep in the router.

Expected to arrive in a couple days.

I'll do this then and provide an update. Thanks again!

Hey @L&LD and @Jeffrey Young. I've done all of that above, got the flash drive this morning, formatted it, and all that. I've installed entware, but when I attempt to put the script for CakeQoS that's listed in the GitHub, I get this message.

CakeQOS-Merlin: Entware isn't ready, waiting 10 sec - Attempt #1
CakeQOS-Merlin: Entware isn't ready, waiting 10 sec - Attempt #2

What did you use to format it? How did you format it? Did you create the 2GB swap file (not a swap partition)?

Can you install any other script?

Did you try simply rebooting the router via the GUI?

What USB drive did you buy?

What did you use to format it? How did you format it? Did you create the 2GB swap file (not a swap partition)?

Can you install any other script?

Did you try simply rebooting the router via the GUI?

What USB drive did you buy?
I formatted it on my computer and on the router to NTFS format. On PC, I used file explorer, right clicked on the flash drive and clicked format. On the router, there was a format button when I clicked on the drive as well.

Yes, I created the 2GB swap file.

I will try another script and see what happens.

Yes, I've rebooted the router.

I bought a 32GB Ultra USB3.0 from SanDisk (although I've set the USB ports to function as 2.0 in the router, as instructed.)

Use the amtm Step-by-Step Guide to format it properly. Do not try to install amtm (again). :)

Oh, nevermind @L&LD. After 10 attempts, it said entware was ready and began installing.

Situation fixed!

If you have any further issues, I would start over. Using the amtm formatting script is highly recommended over almost any other method. See my post above.

And the link below should clarify why you're formatting to NTFS first...

If you have any further issues, I would start over. Using the amtm formatting script is highly recommended over almost any other method. See my post above.

And the link below should clarify why you're formatting to NTFS first...

Absolutely. Thanks so much for your help! This is all new to me so I really appreciate all your help.

No luck @L&LD

Looks like I will have to start over. How do I go about uninstalling Entware and reformatting the drive again? Do I have to reset the drive or can I just reformat it immediately?

EDIT: Nevermind again... seems as if I had missing file packages for Entware. Just reinstalled Entware and it downloaded CakeQoS. Thanks again!

Last edited:
Sometimes it is not you. The entware repository may have been down or busy causing a delay. Sometimes something as simple as the router time not being synced can play with your head too.

I find after a reboot, just let things hum for 5 to 10 minutes to allow the router to "house clean" before trying new things.

Glad to see you got it working.

Sometimes it is not you. The entware repository may have been down or busy causing a delay. Sometimes something as simple as the router time not being synced can play with your head too.

I find after a reboot, just let things hum for 5 to 10 minutes to allow the router to "house clean" before trying new things.

Glad to see you got it working

Definitely. I managed to get it working and it's really the first time I've ever seen an A+ across the board in a buffer bloat test. I've tried FlexQoS the past few days and now I'll be giving CakeQoS a try to see what happens.

Appreciate all your help.