What's new

Help with internet solutions to a house

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

k3rex

New Around Here
Hello!

This will be my first post on this forum and I desperately need some help. I will get fiber installed within a month and I live in a house of around 125 sqm. The problem is that the fiber box will be installed in the garage. The garage is made of pure concrete and the plan is to have the router upstairs. So my suggestion is that I pull a long network cable (Cat5e) from the fiber box to the router, then needs a cable of around 25 m. Is that a good idea?

My second suggestion is to buy Ubiquiti access points and put the first one in the garage, and the other two upstairs. The problem is that I do not think the wireless signal can penetrate the concrete.

Distance won't be an issue for CAT5e or Cat6. Are the walls and basement/garage ceiling open so that you have easy access to run the cables ?
While you are pulling the one run, might as well get other locations where there is possible need in the future for devices, APs, TVs, etc. Pull them from one location, like a closet where you can locate the ISP router and feed out to APs and other devices. If you have to use the ISP wireless, then that probably needs to be in the open somewhere. If you are using your own router, with or without the ISP router, just disable the ISP router wireless and locate yours somewhere in the open.
Some advocate pulling two cables in case of damage now or in the future. Is there already conduit for the route ?
Infrastructure cable (solid conductor) is designed to be installed once and not touched. Commonly available cables used for devices and patch cables is stranded to allow flexibility of positioning. You may be able to pull it without damage, but avoid too much force.

Wireless will not go through concrete but it will go through floors to some extent.

Distance won't be an issue for CAT5e or Cat6. Are the walls and basement/garage ceiling open so that you have easy access to run the cables ?
While you are pulling the one run, might as well get other locations where there is possible need in the future for devices, APs, TVs, etc. Pull them from one location, like a closet where you can locate the ISP router and feed out to APs and other devices. If you have to use the ISP wireless, then that probably needs to be in the open somewhere. If you are using your own router, with or without the ISP router, just disable the ISP router wireless and locate yours somewhere in the open.
Some advocate pulling two cables in case of damage now or in the future. Is there already conduit for the route ?
Infrastructure cable (solid conductor) is designed to be installed once and not touched. Commonly available cables used for devices and patch cables is stranded to allow flexibility of positioning. You may be able to pull it without damage, but avoid too much force.

Wireless will not go through concrete but it will go through floors to some extent.

Would you recommend UTP or FTP network or doesen't that matter?

One more thing, the room the router gonna be located is in the bedroom. From bedroom to the outside place, i think i need some mesh system or accesspoint system. Do you have some recommendation?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!