What's new

Help with IPv6 issue and local streaming

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tnpapa

Regular Contributor
While this is not specifically a ASUS/Merlin issue I hope that some of the more network savvy people here may have an idea.

I run an RT-AX86U on Google Fiber. On my network I have a Channels DVR server running on a 2011 MacBook (High Sierra) It the only thing that MacBook does.

When I enable IPv6 on the MacBook I get momentary stalls in the video stream when Channels starts the stream. Others on the Channels Forum report the same issue, even those using Synology devices as their server.

As soon as I kill IPv6 on either the MacBook or on my network entirely the stalls go away. But here is the kicker, Channels does not even use IPv6 according to the developer, they only use IPv4 addresses when setting up a connection to local devices.

For me killing IPv6 on my MacBook is not a big deal, but other users of Channels need/want IPv6 for other needs on their computers/servers.

Channels developers and I have tried all kinds of things to narrow this issue down, but so far no cause seems apparent.

Any thoughts on why having IPv6 functioning would cause issues with streams starting?

Thx

Google and Apple have long been mortal enemies of each other; it's no surprise your Mac refuses to use Google Fibre correctly. I hate to suggest this, but you've the wrong ISP for Mac.

--KIDDING--

your v6 issue has nothing to do with the Mac your DVR app/software runs on, but with the software itself. If they haven't done the work (or at least started it) on implementing IPv6 yet, you might suggest to the users on that forum to start looking elsewhere software that is future-proof in this regard. It could be a matter of the devs not being comfortable enough with IPv6 to write a config section of their manual or post a workaround or tutorial - it might all be in place and ready to rock, but they've not implemented the appropriate menu to set it up for users or something equally silly. but if they haven't even considered implementing, yeah, time to start looking elsewhere.

(I have a RasPi streaming unit for kodi, and the dev/maintainer of the debian JeOS doesn't have an IPv6 connection to test any work he might attempt. content providers are v6 compliant, I've a Native v6 connection, but the dev himself can't test any bugs...it's frustrating, and it may be a similar case for your DVR app)

Last edited:
The devs are equally confused by this. We have exchanged many emails. Unfortunately the only other option is Plex, but it does not meet my needs. Just seems so strange that the issue only shows when IPv6 is on, even though the app does not use it.

The devs are equally confused by this. We have exchanged many emails. Unfortunately the only other option is Plex, but it does not meet my needs. Just seems so strange that the issue only shows when IPv6 is on, even though the app does not use it.
that sounds like a definite issue with the DVR devs...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!