What's new

Help with Moca adapter, TV, and modem on same line

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Fwiler

Occasional Visitor
I have the Actiontec ESB6200's and I'm trying to extend a connection to the lower floor for various computers.

I just don't know the best hookup from the wall and in which order to hook up the devices.

My assumption is Wall - Spliter - Moca adapter - STB
Other end of Spliter to Modem.
Network speed is the most important thing I'm looking for as we are getting 1GB Internet soon.

I do not know if I need an amp/splitter at the main poe. They seem hard to find for moca 2.0

layout.png

you will have to have MOCA2 certified splitters in the path (all) if you want the higher bonded MOCA2 speeds.
If not, then it will fall back to the MOCA 1.1 speeds.
There is a potential issue with signal loss by adding the additional splitter - 3.db min usually. Is the Xfinity splitter an amp as well ? You won't know if you have enough signal budget until you insert the splitter. Make sure to use the minimum number of ports on a given splitter as the signal loss goes up quickly with more ports. Make sure any unused port is capped with a 75 ohm terminator cap.

you will have to have MOCA2 certified splitters in the path (all) if you want the higher bonded MOCA2 speeds.
If not, then it will fall back to the MOCA 1.1 speeds.
There is a potential issue with signal loss by adding the additional splitter - 3.db min usually. Is the Xfinity splitter an amp as well ? You won't know if you have enough signal budget until you insert the splitter. Make sure to use the minimum number of ports on a given splitter as the signal loss goes up quickly with more ports. Make sure any unused port is capped with a 75 ohm terminator cap.

Thank you, my spliters are all moca 2.0 capable not from xfinity, but my main concern is the actual hook up for upstairs.
For instance, do I go from wall to moca adapter then splitter or
Spliter 1st and then moca adapter. If so do I put the STB or the modem after the moca adapter.
If I have too much signal loss then I'll replace main spliter at house with an amp/splitter.

Read The Manual for what is on the RG6 OUT connector on the Actiontecs and you will have your answer.

Read The Manual for what is on the RG6 OUT connector on the Actiontecs and you will have your answer.

The manual does not include any consolation for having a splitter in the mix.
Again, should splitter be before the moca adapter or after it?
If used before, what device connects to the output of the moca?

page 9.
TV/STB freq range 5Mhz to 1002 MHz.
What freq range does your cable service use ? Analog or digital ?
simple test -
If you plug in the STB to the TV/STB out and it does not work, you need a bidirectional MOCA2 splitter ahead of the 6200. The TV/STB out is just a pass through from the cable input port limited to less than 1002 MHz.

If that still does not work and the STB does work without the splitter present, then your system has too much signal loss from too many connections or cable issues on the branch. You will need a powered amplifying MOCA2 compatible bidirectional splitter at the head of your cable system with the same number of ports currently used.

page 9.
TV/STB freq range 5Mhz to 1002 MHz.
What freq range does your cable service use ? Analog or digital ?
simple test -
If you plug in the STB to the TV/STB out and it does not work, you need a bidirectional MOCA2 splitter ahead of the 6200. The TV/STB out is just a pass through from the cable input port limited to less than 1002 MHz.

If that still does not work and the STB does work without the splitter present, then your system has too much signal loss from too many connections or cable issues on the branch. You will need a powered amplifying MOCA2 compatible bidirectional splitter at the head of your cable system with the same number of ports currently used.

I'm not sure what you are going on about by not answering my question, but whatever.
xfinity x1 is digital. I know that I can plug the stb to the output of the moca adapter. You can also plug any amount of devices, not just an stb. So you keep skirting around the question, of best setup. You know the one I originally asked about where the big red ? is. I'm assuming you don't know the answer judging by your previous comments.

a splitter will have no impact on line speed except if the signal level is too low due to insertion loss. Then all service will stop or be intermittent.
If both the PC and the stb/TV are using the coax branch at the same time then they will share the bandwidth if they are on the same channel.
The MOCA modem will not influence the bandwidth to either the PC or the STB since it will not look at the signal below 1002 MHz so it does not matter which way you connect in that regard.
Depending on which channels the X1 is using (MOCA2 or 1.1), there can be overlap and it will be sharing bandwidth with the PC. That is the reason i asked you to check what freq your cable actually operates on.

Page 7 is a picture of what should happen.
http://www.mocalliance.org/MoCA2/specification/MoCA_2_Device_RF_Characteristics-150406d.pdf

10 minutes of testing will let you figure it out.

Last edited:
Interesting question. The modem and STB will receive a split signal no matter what, so the question then hinges on whether either device needs access to the full frequency range (CATV/BB + MoCA) or would benefit from being protected, say, from MoCA signals.

The modem would certainly benefit from being fed via the MoCA adapter's RF pass-through port, since it can't do any with or for your MoCA signals.

However, the STB may require MoCA connectivity if by STB you mean an X1 client box, which, from my limited understanding, would require a MoCA connection to the X1 DVR. But then I'm also left to wonder how you'll manage the X1 DVR's MoCA network being on the same coax plant as your DIY MoCA network bridged by the ECB6200 at your modem/router.

If the STB is just a standard digital cable box or DTA, I'd recommend the 2-way splitter being connected to the MoCA adapter's pass-through port, keeping MoCA away from both the modem and STB. If the STB is an X1 client, you'd need the 2-way in front of the MoCA adapter, connecting the MoCA adapter and STB to its outputs, and feeding just the modem via the MoCA adapter's pass-through port.