What's new

Help with MOCA adapters

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

xabierv

New Around Here
Hi all, first time poster here and networking noob.

I just got a pair of ActionTec MOCA adapters and had a quick question.

I live in an apartment building and the apt is split into different floors. My modem is on the bottom floor, but I have my PS3 which I want to connect to the network on the top floor. When I plug in the 2nd MOCA adapter on the top floor, both the ethernet and coax lights come on, but I can't seem to connect properly. Specifically, I connected a laptop to the 2nd MOCA adapter and tried to go on the internet using Chrome, and the error message read something like "DNS lookup failed". I know this coax outlet works since that is what I connect my cable box to...

However, when i perform the exact same test on another coax outlet on the same floor as the modem (where I hook up my cable box down there), everything works fine.

Any idea what could be causing this?

Thanks in advance for your help

Last edited:
Amplifier

Any chance there is an amplifier/ signal extender installed on the line feeding the upstairs?

If there is it may not be two way capable and/or perhaps it can't pass the frequency that the MOCA adapter is operating in.

Also if there are any splitters installed they may not be capable of passing the MOCA frequency.

In either case you will have to replace the amplifier and or the splitters.

Perhaps. I have been doing more testing this morning and here is what I found.

I have three cable boxes in the apartment. One each on the top, middle, and bottom floors. The MOCA adapter only works when hooking it up to the coax line on the bottom floor.

My apartment was originally two separate units before the previous owners combined them. One was the bottom floor and the other was the middle and top floors.

Opening up a few places in the apt I am pretty sure the cable comes in on the bottom floor. The signal is split by a Digimax DM2 5-1002MHz device. It also says RFI 120dB and then also -3.5dB on each of the outs. Guessing one of the outs feeds the bottom floor outlets and the other out goes to the floors above....

Then on the middle floor there is a "Broadband Products" 2 way splitter BSP1002D 5-1000MHz -140EMI and -3.5dB on each of the outs. Guessing this splits he signal coming from the bottom floor to go to the middle and 3rd floor outlets.

Last edited:
Frequency

MOCA 2.0 can use a frequency up to 1650 Mhz. Replace the splitters with devices designed for higher frequencies. The ones made for satellite TV will pass up to 3000 Mhz.

You should be able to pick them up at Radio Shack for a few bucks.

If this doesn't work then you may have RG59 cable not capable of handling the frequency your MOCA devices require along with other non compliant components.

If the new splitters don't solve your problem return the MOCA devices and try using Ethernet over powerline instead.

Thanks, will switch the splitters and let you know.

I have tried the Powerline Ethernet solution but found the results to be OK at best...

It's frustrating that in 2013 in a modern country it would be this hard to get a proper wired Ethernet connection to my PS3!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!