What's new

Help with moca setup

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mnm

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

Based on the information I read here, I got 2 units, for which are labeled as G.hn over coax gigabit Ethernet bridge (I believe moca 2.0). I could not find the Actiontec moca adapters in my country, so I got the only ones I could find.

However, I cant seem to get them to work. I waited for this weekend to try to setup the network using them. According to the salesmen it should be plug and play.
The instruction manual is really short and basic (I have attached a PDF)

Each of the units has the following ports:
- G.hn
- TV
-LAN 1
- LAN 2

Before trying to figure out which of the coax cables in the basement is the right for the room I want to set the connection with, I connected them with a short coax cable included in the package with each of the units, like this:

PC|LAN|-----cat5e--------|.....................................
......................................|.....................................
......................................|cat5e............................
.....................................|.....................................
Unit 1| G.Hn ||TV||LAN1||LAN2|................
..................|...................................................
.................. |.......................................................
...................| coax..............................................
...................|......................................................
Unit 1| G.Hn ||TV||LAN1||LAN2|..............
..................................|......................................
..................................|cat5e.............................
..................................| .....................................
......Router| WAN||LAN |.............................

The connection I tried (and the units) look similar to this (but with 2 units only): https://shop.allnet.de/media/image/1d/a3/6b/123043_357bd7576dc4c1.jpg

LAN port led lights blink, but the G.hn LEDs do not. The PC indicates a LAN connection but no internet, nor can I connect to the router settings by tiping its IP address when connected trhogh the coax bridge.

I have to send this back by Tuesday so I could get my money back if it does not work. Am I doing something wrong?

Attachments

• CES-832-831-830_UME_20141121.pdf
    627.1 KB · Views: 740
Last edited:
Hi,

Based on the information I read here, I got 2 units, for which are labeled as G.hn over coax gigabit Ethernet bridge (I believe moca 2.0). I could not find the Actiontec moca adapters in my country, so I got the only ones I could find.

However, I cant seem to get them to work. I waited for this weekend to try to setup the network using them. According to the salesmen it should be plug and play.
The instruction manual is really short and basic (I have attached a PDF)

Each of the units has the following ports:
- G.hn
- TV
-LAN 1
- LAN 2

Before trying to figure out which of the coax cables in the basement is the right for the room I want to set the connection with, I connected them with a short coax cable included in the package with each of the units, like this:

PC|LAN|-----cat5e--------|.....................................
......................................|.....................................
......................................|cat5e............................
.....................................|.....................................
Unit 1| G.Hn ||TV||LAN1||LAN2|................
..................|...................................................
.................. |.......................................................
...................| coax..............................................
Unit 1| G.Hn ||TV||LAN1||LAN2|..............
..................................|......................................
..................................|cat5e.............................
..................................| .....................................
......Router| WAN||LAN |.............................

The connection I tried (and the units) look similar to this (but with 2 units only): https://shop.allnet.de/media/image/1d/a3/6b/123043_357bd7576dc4c1.jpg

LAN port led lights blink, but the G.hn LEDs do not. The PC indicates a LAN connection but no internet, nor can I connect to the router settings by tiping its IP address when connected trhogh the coax bridge.

I have to send this back by Tuesday so I could get my money back if it does not work. Am I doing something wrong?

you should be coax connected Ghn to Ghn port. might need at least a meter of cable. If you have another or longer cable, try it.
unplug both unit's power. you can leave one connected to router and other to PC.
plug both power units in. let the modems sync.
What color is the Ghn light on each ?

If there is a way to factory reset the units, i would try that. Otherwise, if the Ghn light does not come on at least yellow, there may be something wrong with the units or the cable.

The instructions indicate there is some configuration possible. Check the manufacturer's website.

you should be coax connected Ghn to Ghn port. might need at least a meter of cable. If you have another or longer cable, try it.
unplug both unit's power. you can leave one connected to router and other to PC.
plug both power units in. let the modems sync.
What color is the Ghn light on each ?

If there is a way to factory reset the units, i would try that. Otherwise, if the Ghn light does not come on at least yellow, there may be something wrong with the units.

Hi degrub,

thanks for helping.
I connected the units, just as you suggested - Ghn to Ghn. The Ghn light comes on for less then a second when I turn them on, and then it does not come on.

Tried with a 3m coax, and with the supplied short coax, left a couple of min - no difference.

Hi degrub,

thanks for helping.
I connected the units, just as you suggested - Ghn to Ghn. The Ghn light comes on for less then a second when I turn them on, and then it does not come on.

Tried with a 3m coax, and with the supplied short coax, left a couple of min - no difference.

What are the model numbers on each unit ?
These are Sendtek ?

yes, sendtek.

The model is: SendTek CES832 Manageable Coax Bridge Extender 2 LAN Ethernet porta 100/1000Mb/s + Coax-F modem do 1Gb/s up/downstream

Both are the same model, just different serial number.

yes, sendtek.

The model is: SendTek CES832 Manageable Coax Bridge Extender 2 LAN Ethernet porta 100/1000Mb/s + Coax-F modem do 1Gb/s up/downstream

Both are the same model, just different serial number.

i could not find a document to tell me how to factory reset the units. So if you see a small hole (end of pen or paperclip size) with a button inside, you might try pressing and holding for about 10 s while powering up.

Otherwise, no Ghn light on either means no sync between the two units. Candidate for return/exchange.

unless there is something different about these units, that test should have worked. i would try plugging both into separate locations on your existing coax (ghn port only) just for fun. You never know.

i could not find a document to tell me how to factory reset the units. So if you see a small hole (end of pen or paperclip size) with a button inside, you might try pressing and holding for about 10 s while powering up.

Otherwise, no Ghn light on either means no sync between the two units. Candidate for return/exchange.

unless there is something different about these units, that test should have worked. i would try plugging both into separate locations on your existing coax (ghn port only) just for fun. You never know.

Thanks for the suggestions. There is no reset. I am sending them back.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!