What's new

Help with nat-start script

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MaxTO

New Around Here
Hi,

I just installed asuswrt-merlin (3.0.0.4.374.35_2) onto my RT-N66U router. I have it setup so that it uses OpenDNS. However, I noticed that if the DNS settings are changed on the PC to something like 8.8.8.8 then it bypasses using OpenDNS.

To address this, I wanted to install a script that would override this and would always use the DNS servers (i.e. OpenDNS) I have configured within the router.

I named the script "nat-start" and uploaded into "/jffs/scripts"

Code:
#!/bin/sh
iptables -I FORWARD 7 -p udp -o `nvram get wan0_ifname` -d 208.67.222.222 --dport 53 -j ACCEPT
iptables -I FORWARD 8 -p udp -o `nvram get wan0_ifname` -d 208.67.220.220 --dport 53 -j ACCEPT
iptables -I FORWARD 9 -p udp -o `nvram get wan0_ifname` --dport 53 -j DROP

However, it still seems that the adapter DNS settings are working and I can bypass the router's OpenDNS servers.

What am I doing wrong?

Thank you!

Hi,

I just installed asuswrt-merlin (3.0.0.4.374.35_2) onto my RT-N66U router. I have it setup so that it uses OpenDNS. However, I noticed that if the DNS settings are changed on the PC to something like 8.8.8.8 then it bypasses using OpenDNS.

To address this, I wanted to install a script that would override this and would always use the DNS servers (i.e. OpenDNS) I have configured within the router.

I named the script "nat-start" and uploaded into "/jffs/scripts"

Code:
#!/bin/sh
iptables -I FORWARD 7 -p udp -o `nvram get wan0_ifname` -d 208.67.222.222 --dport 53 -j ACCEPT
iptables -I FORWARD 8 -p udp -o `nvram get wan0_ifname` -d 208.67.220.220 --dport 53 -j ACCEPT
iptables -I FORWARD 9 -p udp -o `nvram get wan0_ifname` --dport 53 -j DROP

However, it still seems that the adapter DNS settings are working and I can bypass the router's OpenDNS servers.

What am I doing wrong?

Thank you!

That example was written quite a while ago, and might break depending on your particular configuration.

I would recommend changing the 7, 8 and 9 values to insert them at the start of the forward chain instead - might work better. Change them for 1, 2 and 3, for testing purposes.

Hi RMerlin,

I made the change you recommended and it appears to be working correctly now - Thank you!

An additional question...if I need a few specific devices to bypass this, can I assign a static (internal) IP address to them and add to the script so that they would use a different DNS (such as 8.8.8.8)?

Last edited:
Hi RMerlin,

I made the change you recommended and it appears to be working correctly now - Thank you!

An additional question...if I need a few specific devices to bypass this, can I assign a static (internal) IP address to them and add to the script so that they would use a different DNS (such as 8.8.8.8)?

Hi, I would also like to add some IP's that bypass OpenDNS. Did you get a solution to this?

Hi RMerlin,

Hi, I would also like to add some IP's that bypass OpenDNS. Did you get a solution to this?

This should work if you assign DNS via DHCP. If a user tries to specify an alternate DNS they will fail. This is handled in the FORWARD chain.

Route specific source addr to a specific destination (i.e. 8.8.8.8) with nat PREROUTING

Code:
iptables -t nat -I PREROUTING 1 -s [static ip_addr] -p udp --dport 53 -j DNAT --to 8.8.8.8:53
iptables -t nat -I PREROUTING 2 -s [static ip_addr] -p tcp --dport 53 -j DNAT --to 8.8.8.8:53

iptables -I FORWARD 1 -p udp -o `nvram get wan0_ifname` -d 208.67.222.222 --dport 53 -m state --state NEW,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT 
iptables -I FORWARD 2 -p tcp -o `nvram get wan0_ifname` -d 208.67.222.222 --dport 53 -m state --state NEW,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT 
iptables -I FORWARD 3 -p udp -o `nvram get wan0_ifname` -d 208.67.222.220 --dport 53 -m state --state NEW,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
iptables -I FORWARD 4 -p tcp -o `nvram get wan0_ifname` -d 208.67.222.220 --dport 53 -m state --state NEW,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
iptables -I FORWARD 5 -o `nvram get wan0_ifname` --dport 53 -j DROP

That should work for you. It's late, I may have missed something. ;)

This should work if you assign DNS via DHCP. If a user tries to specify an alternate DNS they will fail. This is handled in the FORWARD chain.

Route specific source addr to a specific destination (i.e. 8.8.8.8) with nat PREROUTING

Code:
iptables -t nat -I PREROUTING 1 -s [static ip_addr] -p udp --dport 53 -j DNAT --to 8.8.8.8:53
iptables -t nat -I PREROUTING 2 -s [static ip_addr] -p tcp --dport 53 -j DNAT --to 8.8.8.8:53

iptables -I FORWARD 1 -p udp -o `nvram get wan0_ifname` -d 208.67.222.222 --dport 53 -m state --state NEW,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT 
iptables -I FORWARD 2 -p tcp -o `nvram get wan0_ifname` -d 208.67.222.222 --dport 53 -m state --state NEW,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT 
iptables -I FORWARD 3 -p udp -o `nvram get wan0_ifname` -d 208.67.222.220 --dport 53 -m state --state NEW,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
iptables -I FORWARD 4 -p tcp -o `nvram get wan0_ifname` -d 208.67.222.220 --dport 53 -m state --state NEW,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
iptables -I FORWARD 5 -o `nvram get wan0_ifname` --dport 53 -j DROP

That should work for you. It's late, I may have missed something. ;)

Hallo Sydlexia,

Thank you for the reply. It works 100%!! :)

Regards
Gerrit