What's new

Help with new ASUS RT3100

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Akronychal

New Around Here
I confess to being a bit of a newbie, but I cannot manage to get my new rt3100 router to recognize my internet connection. I plug my old DLink in and everything is fine. We have attempted everything in the online support and it still won't connect to the internet. Our internet type is considered a "fixed wireless" connection, so there's no modem, no DSL, and no ISP provided security login. At my wits end. Please help!

Can't you just copy the WAN settings from the D-Link to the Asus?

Can you post a screen shot of the D-Link settings?

Showing my newbie-mess here, no idea where I would find that info for the dlink.

Unless that's the info under the properties of the connection settings that only has a "copy" button. In that case yes I could copy, but where would I paste it?

This stuff?
15276797002818911337308901099093.jpg

What do you have under Settings > Internet for the connection type? DHCP? For example:

Untitled.png

Well that's good news. It doesn't appear to be using some complicated connection type.

On the other hand it's surprising that your Asus doesn't just work out-of-the-box, it should.

Make a note of the D-Link's MAC address just in case your ISP is using it to authenticate your connection (although probably not).

So connect up your Asus in place of the D-Link. Log into the Asus' web interface (http://192.168.1.1/ by default) and check the WAN settings at WAN > Internet Connection. WAN Connection Type should be set to Automatic IP.

I don't know what ISP equipment you've got plugged into the router's WAN port but sometimes when changing to a different router you need to power off that device and the router. Wait a few minutes before turning on the ISP equipment. Wait a few minutes more for it to fully boot before powering on the router.

If it still doesn't work after all that try putting the MAC address from the D-Link into the Asus' MAC Clone field (WAN > Internet Connection > MAC Address).

If it still fails look in System Log > General Log for indications why.

Yea all we have is basically a little converter box. PoE line goes in, LAN line goes out.

Gone through all of the above multiple times. Tried this MAC address, seems no change. On my Network Map screen it says under Internet Status "Your ISP's DHCP does not function properly" but it functions just fine with the other.

That System Log looks terrifying LoL, but when I look under the DHCP leases it doesn't log the new MAC address I entered. Rebooting router now to see if that makes it register.

I think I have to conclude this is just a bum router. Reboot didn't do anything.

I really appreciate your assistance here, but I'm gonna call it done with this thing.

Depending of what firmware version you are running you might have an option on the WAN > Internet Connection page to change the "DHCP query frequency". Try that as it's known to cause problems. If you want to post the contents of your syslog somewhere we will be happy to look at it.

Last edited:
The query frequency was set to 'aggressive.'
I appreciate that offer, but after 3 days of this I've hit my limit. It's already back in the box set to go back.