What's new

Help with resetting RT AC66_B1

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

shelleyevans

Regular Contributor
I am running an AI-Mesh system, 386.1_2 on the main router (RT-AC86) and two nodes (RT-AC68 and RT-AC66_B1). I KNOW the smartest way to upgrade is to remove the nodes, reset the router, add everything back in and start from scratch, but I am always reluctant to do so because I can never figure out exactly HOW to add the AC66_B1 back to my system. When I last did a clean upgrade I spent lot of cold-sweat trial and error until finally I got into the setup wizard, changed the default password and IP address and added it back in. Today I thought: why not? I'm successfully running the mesh, let's give it a try. And I'm just plain locked out. I can SEE the router in the list of available wifi networks, but when I try to log in, it says I need a password, and then the default password doesn't work. So I thought, hang on, I'm just going to ask somebody how to do this, and then copy and paste the instructions into my handy set up document, so I can upgrade and reset forevermore, without fear.

Here's the issue: the node is FAR from the main router. But it's connected via MOCA, so, ethernet. My other node (RT68), also ethernet, just automatically adds itself and gets seen. The RT66_B1 is never found by the main router (just spins and spins), and I can't access the Web GUI on the node to set it up, because it requires a password that I mysteriously don't have. Can somebody give me the step by step? I would be so grateful.

I am running an AI-Mesh system, 386.1_2 on the main router (RT-AC86) and two nodes (RT-AC68 and RT-AC66_B1). I KNOW the smartest way to upgrade is to remove the nodes, reset the router, add everything back in and start from scratch, but I am always reluctant to do so because I can never figure out exactly HOW to add the AC66_B1 back to my system. When I last did a clean upgrade I spent lot of cold-sweat trial and error until finally I got into the setup wizard, changed the default password and IP address and added it back in. Today I thought: why not? I'm successfully running the mesh, let's give it a try. And I'm just plain locked out. I can SEE the router in the list of available wifi networks, but when I try to log in, it says I need a password, and then the default password doesn't work. So I thought, hang on, I'm just going to ask somebody how to do this, and then copy and paste the instructions into my handy set up document, so I can upgrade and reset forevermore, without fear.

Here's the issue: the node is FAR from the main router. But it's connected via MOCA, so, ethernet. My other node (RT68), also ethernet, just automatically adds itself and gets seen. The RT66_B1 is never found by the main router (just spins and spins), and I can't access the Web GUI on the node to set it up, because it requires a password that I mysteriously don't have. Can somebody give me the step by step? I would be so grateful.

An AiMesh node should be reset and added from the router webUI. You do not access the node webUI.

If you can't search/add the reset remote node over MOCA, then I would bring it close and add it over a patch cord or wirelessly and then deploy it over MOCA.

OE

First, make sure all the nodes are on the firmware you want them to be using.

If they are not, then flash them all to the version you want now, via the main router's GUI by clicking on the firmware version's button at the top of the screen when you're logged in.

Then, click on the 'upload' link beside the router you want. The window that opens will need your main router's username and password (this will always be true). Make sure you upload the firmware matched to the router hardware you are upgrading.

ASUS Wireless Router RT-AX95Q - Firmware Upgrade

With the steps above repeated for all the nodes, which need to be upgraded, continue below.

Make sure you turn off 'Ethernet Backhaul Mode' in the AiMesh, System Settings tab.

Remove all nodes via the main router's GUI.

This should reset them. I would still physically unplug each one from all connected cables and USB devices, including the AC power plug, leaving the power switch 'On', and after leaving them off for 2 minutes or so, then do the WPS Button method reset appropriate for your router. [Wireless] ASUS router Hard Factory Reset | Official Support | ASUS Global

At this point, bring the node router that you want to connect to the same room as the main router. Power it up and let it sit for 5 minutes before attempting to connect it to the AiMesh network.

On the main router, make sure you turn WPS on.

On the main router, from the GUI, go to either of the AiMesh links and select 'Add' or 'Search' for the AiMesh node. When it finds it, click next and be patient for it to connect.

If after trying a few times the node doesn't connect, try connecting it via a wired connection.

Once connected, let the newly added node stay powered up for 5 minutes or more.

Repeat the above steps as needed to connect a second node.

When all nodes are successfully connected, turn them off and relocate them to where they are needed.

Power them up and let them connect. After 5 minutes or so, plug in the Ethernet cable to your wired nodes.

With the network, including the AiMesh nodes running properly, turn off WPS in the main router.

ASUS Wireless Router RT-AX95Q - WPS

After the network is running for 15 minutes or more, reboot the entire network via the GUI of the main router from the AiMesh, System Settings, 'System reboot' command.

After another hour or more, that the AiMesh network is running smoothly, I usually do one more 'System reboot'.

Just to add my experience: sometimes the phone app works better than the router. At least three times I've had success using the phone app to establish a mesh where the router timed out. Might be voodoo, but I'm just throwing it out there. Make sure you resist the option to open the WAN for access (the app still prompts you to do this... grrr).

SO MANY THANKS for this! It's such a simple and clear set of instructions (not surprising). I did finally get the node attached using Ozark Edge's recommendation, just moving the router closer, but I don't think my "clean" install was this clean. Perhaps I will get brave and try again in a few days, when the family is off the internet. And it will definitely help when we get the next release!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!