What's new

Help with RT-AC5300 5ghz settings.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BenRaines304

Occasional Visitor
I just bought a RT-AC5300 to replace my ASUS RT-AC68U.

The setup went without a hitch. I am connected to my Cable modem and surfing the internet..

My old modem, I could connect to wifi from either end of the house.

This AC5300 is only showing 5ghz in the room its installed. I have it installed next to my tv up against a wall. On the other side of the wall is another room with a Roku box.

The Roku only shows the 2ghz network and does not show any of the 5ghz SSIDs...

Looking for some input on what to try out or do to fix the issue..

And with your 68U you had Wifi everywhere 2G and 5G?
Than you probably had a very old firmware on it with much more (not limited) radio-power.

And with your 68U you had Wifi everywhere 2G and 5G?
Than you probably had a very old firmware on it with much more (not limited) radio-power.

Appreciate your input.. It was a long day yesterday and I had a brain relapse...
My older Rokus that I setup over a year ago do not support 5ghz.. So no biggie..

So the issue is the roku in the corner of my house won't connect to my 2ghz ac5300 router due to signal strength.

But it will connect to my 68U with no issues. And I checked and I have one of the latest 384 firmware updates on both routers.

I DO NOT have both routers running at the same time. I just switched back to the old router for now until I can do some more research and testing..

Thanks

are you in EU?
Did you change region setting in the past to #a on your old 68U?

Last edited:
I just bought a RT-AC5300 to replace my ASUS RT-AC68U.

The setup went without a hitch. I am connected to my Cable modem and surfing the internet..

My old modem, I could connect to wifi from either end of the house.

This AC5300 is only showing 5ghz in the room its installed. I have it installed next to my tv up against a wall. On the other side of the wall is another room with a Roku box.

The Roku only shows the 2ghz network and does not show any of the 5ghz SSIDs...

Looking for some input on what to try out or do to fix the issue..

My 86U will easily throw its 5.o GHz signal around 1650 sq. ft. by 3 levels. Try your router in another location... high, central, and in the clear... maybe your TV location is not optimal.

OE

My 86U will easily throw its 5.o GHz signal around 1650 sq. ft. by 3 levels. Try your router in another location... high, central, and in the clear... maybe your TV location is not optimal.

OE

Thanks.. My 68U gets all around to...

Weird part is the AC5300 is in the exact same spot where my 68U was.
I guess I can try a few other spots. This is just a prime locating on the top floor middle of the house.

I'm also thinking about setting the AC5300 where my 68U is and setup the 68U as a WAP/Backup in a farther corner of the house.

strangeijust bought an rt 5300 as well , it gets the signal all through the house strong signal too ,.what are the walls made of whre the rt5300 is ? so the 68u has no troubkle sending both 2 and 5 ghz radio signals but the 5300 does , is it a new rt5300 ? maybe something is wrong with the radios ? defective ?
maybe set up the 5300 in another room if possible . Are the antennas attached properly ?
hope you solve the problem . good luck

I just started researching new routers to upgrade my rt68p. Looking at the rt88u and 5300 and seeing a lot of threads about wofo signal strength issues.

With that said... Have you thought of using your 68u as an aimesh node? This is what I am thinking for myself since cord cutting.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

I just started researching new routers to upgrade my rt68p. Looking at the rt88u and 5300 and seeing a lot of threads about wofo signal strength issues.

With that said... Have you thought of using your 68u as an aimesh node? This is what I am thinking for myself since cord cutting.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

If ASUS, then consider the RT-AC86U for current value and performance.

OE

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!