What's new

Help with RT-AC87U 5Ghz Country & Channel settings

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

archiel

Very Senior Member
I am in the UK (and the router was bought through a UK website), but looking at the channel list I noted that it was showing the US 5Ghz channels (including those illegal for domestic in the UK).

I am running 384.7_2

On checking the router I get
/tmp/home/root$ wl country US (US/0) UNITED STATES
/tmp/home/root$ nvram get wl1_reg_mode off​

How do I / can I set my country to UK?
Failing that how do I change the channels (and power settings) to those appropriate for the UK?

[the router is quite old (2015) - I had just not looked as 5Ghz before as 2.4Ghz was fine, but now I am getting a lot more congestion, overlap with neighbours]

Not sure about the 5Ghz problem but about your WiFi overlap issue. If your have an android device download the "WiFi Analyzer" app from the play store open it up and you can see where the most peoples WiFi channels are and set yours to one least used. Or move it away from the stronger ones in the area

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Discussion about how to change the router's region of power output is not allowed on these forums, so you'll have to look elsewhere for that.

In the meantime I would suggest a pragmatic approach would be to just manually select a legal channel and leave it at that. Preferably a channel from 36 to 48 so that radar detections don't force it to change automatically.

I have set 5Ghz to channel 48, but still doesn't sort out that a router bought in the UK is configured as is if was in the US.

I have set 5Ghz to channel 48, but still doesn't sort out that a router bought in the UK is configured as is if was in the US.
Indeed. I would contact the supplier and complain, but it sounds like you bought it some time ago. Or was it a grey import from a company like GearBest?