What's new

help with static wan ip asignation

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

andresmorago

hello
My ISP provided me a static IP address for my connection. until today, i used to have a dynamically assigned pubic IP. they also provided me the required mask and default gateway.

im having issues with the DNS service as, after configuring my router with the static ip address, name resolution doesnt work at all. at this poing, internet connection does work since im able to ping 1.1.1.1

please find attached my current dns configuration which isnt working when using a static wan ip address. if i go back to wan dhcp, it works perfectly. on each network client, the dns server will be 10.0.0.1, which is what i would like.
as a matter of fact, at Advanced_WAN_Content.asp, i had to fill out both DNS server 1 and 2 when configuring a static ip address as i would get an error message. this doesnt happen on wan dhcp as i can leave these 2 fields blank and just use DNS-over-TLS Server

i have diversion, pixelserv and skynet running. Ac3100 running 384.13

i would appreciate your help

1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG 4.JPG 5.JPG

Last edited:
The DNS Privacy box (orange text) says LAN DHCP DNS is set to something besides your router. Does it still show that message now?

What happens if you use nslookup on the Network tools page?

Is the clock set properly?

Have you rebooted the modem and router?

The DNS Privacy box (orange text) says LAN DHCP DNS is set to something besides your router. Does it still show that message now?

What happens if you use nslookup on the Network tools page?

Is the clock set properly?

Have you rebooted the modem and router?

hi dave.
thanks so much for your help.

it took 3 power cycles for router dns to become functional. i restarted both router and cable modem. i didnt change anything from the screenshots that i uploaded above. everything its working now

just a couple of details of my setup which i havent changed at all. i hope they are well configured.

When setting the static ip address, Under WAN page, i had to complete DNS Server1 and DNS Server2 fields with google dns. Leaving them blank will show this error Please set up the DNS server on the client device. is this normal? i used to leave this blank when having a dynamic wan ip address. with a static ip address, it wont allow me to leave them blank

DNSFilter under LAN page is set to ROUTER and Custom (user-defined) DNS 1,2 and 3 are blank
DHCP server under LAN page, DNS Server 1 and 2 are set to blank.

when i was having issues, this is what i got when running a dnslookup from ssh
Code:
andresmorago@RT-AC3100-0548:/tmp/home/root# nslookup google.com
Server:    127.0.0.1
Address 1: 127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain

nslookup: can't resolve 'google.com'

regading clock, i have this line on my dnsmasq.conf.add file
Code:
server=/pool.ntp.org/8.8.8.8

running a dnsmasq on web gui now works out of nowhere
Code:

Name:      google.com
Address 1: 2607:f8b0:400c:c08::64 ua-in-x64.1e100.net
Address 2: 172.217.204.100
Address 3: 172.217.204.113
Address 4: 172.217.204.138
Address 5: 172.217.204.101
Address 6: 172.217.204.102
Address 7: 172.217.204.139

hi dave.
thanks so much for your help.

it took 3 power cycles for router dns to become functional. i restarted both router and cable modem. i didnt change anything from the screenshots that i uploaded above. everything its working now

just a couple of details of my setup which i havent changed at all. i hope they are well configured.

When setting the static ip address, Under WAN page, i had to complete DNS Server1 and DNS Server2 fields with google dns. Leaving them blank will show this error Please set up the DNS server on the client device. is this normal? i used to leave this blank when having a dynamic wan ip address. with a static ip address, it wont allow me to leave them blank

DNSFilter under LAN page is set to ROUTER and Custom (user-defined) DNS 1,2 and 3 are blank
DHCP server under LAN page, DNS Server 1 and 2 are set to blank.

when i was having issues, this is what i got when running a dnslookup from ssh
Code:
andresmorago@RT-AC3100-0548:/tmp/home/root# nslookup google.com

nslookup: can't resolve 'google.com'

regading clock, i have this line on my dnsmasq.conf.add file
Code:
server=/pool.ntp.org/8.8.8.8
So on Tools / Other Settings, you must have the “use local resolver” set to Yes. It’s really safer to be No and let the router use WAN DNS servers for lookups.

With static WAN IP, ISP DHCP no longer provides any DNS servers, so you need some value set for the router to work. Stock Asus doesn’t know Merlin includes Stubby and you might use it. So you must have some WAN DNS configured to ensure reliable operation.

thanks
Wan: Use local caching DNS server as system resolver (default: No) is set to YES
i have this that way since im using selective routing to a vpn client. per @Xentrk advise

regarding the DNS servers that i have to manually assign, will this affect the DoT setup or does this have a higher priority?

thanks
Wan: Use local caching DNS server as system resolver (default: No) is set to YES
i have this that way since im using selective routing to a vpn client. per @Xentrk advise

regarding the DNS servers that i have to manually assign, will this affect the DoT setup or does this have a higher priority?
No, they will only be in effect until Stubby starts up. So no harm.

Great. Thanks!!
Will continue to monitor but I believe it’s now working ok after several reboots of router and modem (this one btw is on bridge mode)