What's new

Help with using DUAL Asus AC-RP56 Repeaters

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

chugbug

Occasional Visitor
Hello All! I'm hoping I can get a little help with these. I can't seem to get the second one working. I'm hoping it may be just a simple answer. But I've tried everything that Icould think of but nothing seems to help. So I'm hoping someone else familiar with them might be able to help me out...

I purchased TWO of these Repeaters back in June with the intention of using both of them (on the same network). I did the researched before making the purchase to make sure I could use two, and was told I could, so I went ahead and purchased two. I setup one right away (and it's been working fine), but then never got to the second one until today. I tried to setup the second one using the same instructions as with the first one, but I can't get the wifi lights to light up. They will flash while going through the setup, but then eventually go out, with only the power light staying lit.

I repeated the setup several times with the same results (and I'm doing it right under the router-- just as I did with the first one). I thought maybe since I was using TWO, I might need to rename the first one. So I renamed the first Repeater though the Router panel (just adding "-1" to each of the names. But the second Repeater still won't initiate all the way (with the two lights staying lit). I also tried setting up the second one with the first one turned off. But that didn't make a difference either. Still no wifi lights.

BUT-- HERE'S THE THING-- Although the wifi lights aren't on (showing green or red), they ARE VISIBLE on the Network. I can SEE AND CONNECT to them with my phone or laptop. But both devices show them as OPEN (not secure), with the "no network available" message. (I'll try to attach a screenshot from the laptop) Screenshot_Repeater wifi not in Router but available to laptop.jpg

I also tried connecting it (2nd one) to the Router with a network cable, but I can't see it in the Router that way either.

So I was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to how I may be able to get this second one working? Since the second one won't install even with the first one turned off, I don't think the reason is because I'm trying to install two of them. Could it be possible that this second one is actually defective? (I'd find it a pretty odd coincidence though that the first one I picked to setup would be OK, but then the second one that I'd end up waiting months later to install would be the defective one).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Cordially...Chugbug

OK, Never mind! I got it working!!!

For anyone else that might find this post because they are having this or a similar issue with their Repeater(s). I found a hint of how to resolve the problem when I found (and then read through) the USERS MANUAL (which WAS NOT supplied with my products!) and found a statement there that said if you were having trouble logging in to the Repeater's Admin Panel, you should make sure you're connected to one of the Repeater's "RPT" named wifi networks. The supplied Quick Setup Guide was only instructing that you were to use the WPS buttons on the Router and Repeater to make the connection. So THAT was all I was using to try and set it up (I tried connecting it with a CAT cable to access it manually, but that didn't work).

Here is a link to the User Manual (It's not listed on Repeater's (Asus) support page): https://fccid.io/MSQ-RPAC56/User-Manual/Users-Manual-2628845

But once I connected to one of the RPT named wifi networks I was able to access the Repeater's Admin panel and then work though the Repeater's simple set up process manually-- and after a few simple clicks it was setup!

THEN, I had one of those DOLT moments! After I started working through the manual setup I remembered that I actually stumbled across and went through this very same process with the first one because the WPS button connections didn't for that one either! DOLT!! But now I have BOTH Repeater's working! I also left the first one renamed so they were different-- that way I would know which one I was connecting too.

Other than the poor instructions (which also didn't tell you that you needed to turn on the power switch that was on the bottom of the unit), I just wish the Repeater's would actually be EXTENDING the existing wifi's range, rather than just simply setting up additional wifi signals. They extend the wifi, but then require your hardware to jump signals (and not always connect automatically--which can be a problem if you're moving around). So I thought using that type of setup was kind of short sighted (read "lame") on ASUS's part. But otherwise I thought they were a very inexpensive way to extend my wifi. Especially since I picked mine up for only $26/each.

Cordially...Chugbug

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!