What's new

Help with VPN/Amazon echo

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mattrix

New Around Here
Hi all

I recently set up a VPN client connection on my router. (Netgear R7000 using the ported version of Asus Merlin firmware). That's probably irelevant since why question is more of a routing issue.

Has anybody else had issues when using a VPN that their echo stops working? I get the red ring of death and the "having trouble understanding right now". If I check in my Alexa app the echo is offline. As soon as I disconnect the VPN client on my router the echo comes online again. I presume Amazon built in some sort of measure to prevent use of the device proxying through a second IP address.

Has anybody else had the same problem? I'm guessing most people who have VPNs set up on their network probably have an echo or two around. Is there any way I can set some sort of static rule that the echo IP address doesn't get routed across the VPN and just goes out the standard gateway?

Cheers all.

Status
Not open for further replies.