What's new

Help with VPN Server on router behind router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Rezidual

New Around Here
I have a RT-N66U which run great for a year as a some sort of NAS (transmission, ssh and ftp accessible only from 192.168.*, connected remotely to it with openvpn). Now the ISP 'upgraded' the connection with fiber so they provided their own router. The firmware in the new router is customized to be a pain in the butt, I guess: I can't put in into bridge mode. I can however do port forwarding (not sure if this matters).

So, will it be possible something like this? The Asus will not have clients connecting to it (I'll also disable the wifi). I'm just interested in connecting to it remotely and securely.

Your clients will have to connect to the Asus's wifi, otherwise you will split your network in two separate networks.

Who is the ISP?
From my experience the fiber generally runs to an ONT device or a type of modem as you would see with a coax connection ( i.e cable) , there is generally an Ethernet handoff, going from this device to the ISP router. Most fiber providers insist you use their router to get their speeds but this is not true at all.
I have used an Edgerouter at a customer with a Verizon direct fiber connection. It took some digging to find out that Verizon uses a VLAN tag for all data ( computers, phones,..etc) and tv services and their own phone services are tagged with a diff vlan.
Running any equipment behind the ISP provided router tends to cause problems . I would get the VLAN tag info from your ISP and buy a $200 router and make sure to hard code the Wan port on your router to match the ISP equipment that is gonna give you an Ethernet handoff as they tend to only negotiate properly with the ISP router. But the ONT can be hard coded to match what you set on the Wan port on your router.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!