What's new

Help with wired and wireless setup using ASUS RT-AX86U and ASUS RT-AC86Us

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

achugh

New Around Here
Hi,

I used to be on DSL Broadband where the DSL Modem was located on 2nd floor of the house. I connected my MAIN Router (ASUS RT-AX86U) to it and configured lots of Static IP on the local area network for known devices. I also had 2 ASUS RT-AC86U working as MEDIA BRIDGE to wirelessly connect to the MAIN Router. Everything was working fine because everything was connecting to the MAIN router which then will connect to the modem.

Now I upgraded to fiber connection. As part of the upgrade I wanted to switch my additional Access Points working as MEDIA BRIDGE via wireless to wired connection. Since I could not run new cables between the floors I had to resort to this new setup. Now my MODEM is on the 1st floor and has just 1 LAN port. The ISP has also provided a ROUTER with 4 LAN ports. The WAN port of ISP ROUTER with 4 LAN ports is connected to the MODEM. I have disabled the wireless features of this ISP ROUTER and I would like to use it as a MANAGED SWITCH via its 4 LAN ports. My ASUS RT-AX86U (previously working main router) is now connected to one of the LAN port of this ISP ROUTER.

Is it possible to setup everything up on the same subnet? If yes, can you please help me with it?

ISP ROUTER is currently running as 192.168.1.1 as its IP address with DHCP and is in bridge mode with the modem. So it keeps on giving IP address in the 192.168.1.xxx range to anything that connects to its LAN ports. All 4 LAN ports are used. In port 1 is the connection to MAIN ROUTER (ASUS RT-AX86U). In port 2 is the connection to ACCESS POINT 1 (ASUS RT-AC86U). In port 3 and port 4 are connections to two other devices in two different rooms.

MAIN ROUTER (ASUS RT-AX86U) connects to LAN Port 1 of the ISP router via its WAN PORT and gets say 192.168.1.100 as its WAN IP. This router is configured to run at 192.168.0.1 and is also running DHCP plus wireless radios for 2.4G and 5G.

ACCESS POINT 2 (ASUS RT-AC86U) connects to the LAN Port 1 of the MAIN ROUTER (ASUS RT-AX86U) and is given 192.168.0.2 as the IP address because the MAIN ROUTER (RT-AX86U) is configured to give this MAC address this static IP address.

I do not want to spend time re-configuring all the static ip addresses in the ISP ROUTER as it does not have export / import configuration feature.

Can I somehow configure the ISP router to be on the same subnet 192.168.0.xxx and keep my current setup where everything else goes through the MAIN ASUS (RT-AX86U) router? I believe I am going to need DHCP running on ISP ROUTER as well (which I can control the allowed ranger of IPs) to give the LAN ports connecting to it get an IP from this router. I also want the wired devices connected to ACCESS POINT 1 to use the MAIN ROUTER (RT-AX86U) DHCP server even though it is connecting to the ISP ROUTER. This is so that I can use the master MAC Address static list to IP address routing table already configured in MAIN ROUTER (RT-AX86U).

I hope someone can help me solve this puzzle or help me understanding basic networking fundamentals that I am missing to solve this mystery.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Your best bet is to dump the ISP router and plug the AX86U into the ISP modem or more correctly ONT. Set your router up then add the other devices as AiMesh nodes. You may need to set up the Asus router to log into your ISP especially if you have PPPoE.

Your best bet is to dump the ISP router and plug the AX86U into the ISP modem or more correctly ONT. Set your router up then add the other devices as AiMesh nodes. You may need to set up the Asus router to log into your ISP especially if you have PPPoE.
I would have dumped it but I would then need to go buy another router because I need a Managed Gig Switch next to the modem to provide wired connection to select few place in house. Also if I move my ASUS RT-AX86U where the ISP ROUTER is located, I am going to have WiFi issues. I am really using the ISP ROUTER as a Managed Switch and are looking for ways to learn how to setup local area network (LAN) to keep everything on the same subnet for easier connectivity. I have no issues with the ISP ROUTER. I am just struggling to setup my LAN and looking for help.

I highly doubt your ISP router is also a managed switch. More likely it has regular unmanaged switch ports. What "managed" features are you using?

I highly doubt your ISP router is also a managed switch. More likely it has regular unmanaged switch ports. What "managed" features are you using?
Hi Colin, I can define a static IP address based on the MAC address. Since I have turned off WiFi, that is all that I need. Where I need help with is how I should setup the static IPs and Default Gateways for the LAN network to work properly? The MAIN ROUTER (ASUS RT-AX86U) is connected on one of the LAN port. Should I be able to use say 192.168.0.1 as the IP address of MAIN ROUTER and say 192.168.0.254 as the WAN IP Address of this MAIN ROUTER? Both these IPs LAN and WAN are on the same subnet. Should this setup going to work or it is going to cause lots of issues. So far my WAN IP address has always been on a different subnet and that is how things are currently working since the WAN address from ISP ROUTER is in the 192.168.1.xxx subnet.

None of what you've said has anything to do with managed switches. You're just talking about DHCP and IP subnets.

Should I be able to use say 192.168.0.1 as the IP address of MAIN ROUTER and say 192.168.0.254 as the WAN IP Address of this MAIN ROUTER?
No. As I stated above that's not a valid setup. The only way to have everything on the same subnet while leaving the ISP router in place is to change the MAIN ROUTER from "router mode" to "access point mode".

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!