What's new

Hepl in selecting a new home NAS please

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Jim Lenahan

New Around Here
Hi,
I have tried to do my homework before posting, and also have some decent past (old) computer experience, but I have to say I only get more confused as I dig deeper.

I have a good megabit router, a Shield media box, and two home PCs. I have about 500 mb of movies on an old disk drive. I am considering buying a 4 bay NAS for the movies, PC back up (under 500 mb) and room for growth. I would only use three bays in some RAID set up.

My confuson is in the processing needs. If I need transcoding I think the shield box, running plex, takes care of that. So "I Think" I do not need a powerful unit, just a basic 4 bay NAS. If in the future my network intelligence (transcoding or other) needs come along, I think I would add a separate box (NIC,etc). Am I missing something or do I have this right?

Thanks

First, rethink your four-bay requirement. Drive capacities are now up to 8 TB. So a 2-bay NAS running RAID1 is all most people need.

If you think you are going to want transcoding, then buy a NAS that supports it. Pay attention to specs and research your choice before buying; some NASes that tout transcoding only offer it in batch mode, not on-the-fly/realtime.

Thank you Tim,

I followed up on your suggestions and I am leaning towards The Synology DS218. Are there other, similar units I should consider?

Thanks again,
Jim

I am a new at this too. I have a lot of DVD's that I want to eventually save in a similar device which is connected to my RT-AC86U. I would like to stream these movies in my network. Any idea at where should I start looking? How much space is appropriate? I seeall of these multiway devices but dont know a whole lot about them. I have a lot of movies and frankly, all of these DVD's takes so much space and it would be nice to save them somewhere in a library where they can organized and streamed as needed.

Thank you so much!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!