What's new

Here we go again (MOCA)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Unibrowser

Regular Contributor
I have Spectrum Cable (DOCSIS 3.1). When I originally setup my GoCoax 2.5 adapters, I couldn't use Exteneded Band-D because of frequency overlap(DOCSIS 3.1 caps at 1218mhz, not 1005mhz like DOCSIS 3.0). So after studying the frequency charts I ended up choosing Band-D High and setting the LOF to 1350. It's been perfect for nearly a year. Then today all of a sudden I'm capped at 16MBps(130mbps) over MOCA 2.5. This was true for WAN and LAN file transfers. I just spent 2 hours messing with the adapters and got absolutely nowhere.

1: I tried putting them back in Extended Band-D again, and when I did that my Modem immediately dropped its WAN connection.
2: I saw there was a new firmware update, one of my 3 adapters apparently was on an old FW so I updated that one.
3: I set them back up the way I had them (-Band-D High and LOF to 1350)

Same results, stuck at 130mbps. I checked the PHY rates when I connected all 3 adapters back and they are all bright green (showing MOCA 2.5 speeds). I'm so confused

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221121-234019_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20221121-234019_Chrome.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 96
Check the ISP modem to see what bands it is using. Talk with your ISP to see if they pushed an update to you recently. Or maybe you can see it in the modem logs/config pages.
Log into your moca modems and check the sync speed table for link rate between nodes. if everything looks normal for dHigh, then it is likely something else, maybe in your pc on the ethernet ?
what is your coax network topology ? a sketch showing everything that is connected and the coax runs would really be helpful.

can you isolate moca from the doccis portion ? It may take a few more moca splitters and moca POE blocks.

Are you using iperf to measure speeds with different devices across the moca links ?
what were the measured values before ?

My modem is a Hitron E31T2V1 and I don't think it has a UI that you can log into like you can with those "all in one" modems. I was getting gigabit speeds for a year on LAN until yesterday (windows copy to nas). I tried a USB 3.0 to ethernet adapter as well and same issue. The topology is the POE coax connecting to a 3 way splitter and splits off into 3 rooms. It has to be something wrong with one of the adapters or modem. But also when on wifi I get the full internet speed. So the issue is somewhere in the moca network. I can't use a POE filter because nobody makes one rated up to 1218mhz yet. I feel like I need to figure out which moca band and LOF to change. Or maybe an adapter went bad? I don't think Spectrum could have changed anything because I looked up the Hitron and everywhere I look it's the same frequency range (5-1218mhz).

the green light usually just means that the modem sync'd with another modem. They might be syncing with the ISP modem instead. More likely, the two are interfering with each other. Take your moca modems and use a spare piece of coax at least 1 m long and test each pairing to see if there are any issues. There is a diagnostic page for the gocoax modems that shows the bit rate sync table. Search the threads here. i think there was one thread opened by gocoax as well.
Your description indicates interference. If the ISP modem is not playing by the rules, you may have to isolate the moca 2.5 coax.

reading this reddit thread
that modem appears to have the PUMA 7 chip set which may be the issue. Talk with spectrum about using your own modem or look at their support pages for compatible modems. You want a Broadcom chipset.

the green light usually just means that the modem sync'd with another modem. They might be syncing with the ISP modem instead. More likely, the two are interfering with each other. Take your moca modems and use a spare piece of coax at least 1 m long and test each pairing to see if there are any issues. There is a diagnostic page for the gocoax modems that shows the bit rate sync table. Search the threads here. i think there was one thread opened by gocoax as well.
Your description indicates interference. If the ISP modem is not playing by the rules, you may have to isolate the moca 2.5 coax.

reading this reddit thread
that modem appears to have the PUMA 7 chip set which may be the issue. Talk with spectrum about using your own modem or look at their support pages for compatible modems. You want a Broadcom chipset.

time to change isp ? Can you get fiber to the house and use an ONT direct to ethernet ?
Or find a way to isolate the coax in the house from the ISP drop to the modem ?

time to change isp ? Can you get fiber to the house and use an ONT direct to ethernet ?
Or find a way to isolate the coax in the house from the ISP drop to the modem ?
Nope. At this point I figure I have 2 options.

1: Buy my own modem where I can control the DOCSIS frequency (if that even exists)

2: Get my big butt in the attic and finally run Cat6a to every room. Sigh

If they are using 1700mHz, then no.
You will have to talk with spectrum as to why they shifted you up to such a high band. Maybe they made a mistake and can put you back in the normal range of bands that will allow D High to work for moca.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!