What's new

hi,,,, first timer with a question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

miltk

New Around Here
i hope this is the right place:)

verizon really messed up my connectivity

i live in nyc so there's issues from from router to the rest of the apt. it's an old building

so here's the incident. i pay for and get good 1gb service. both my desktops are hardwired to a dlink. i think it's the ac1200 but i am not sure and too lazy to check, as i sit here typing out this question - but it looks like the ac1200.

my original setup was verizon box(this huge brutish box with lot's of wires > verizon router (an upright black thin router with wifi turned OFF) > dlink ac1200

if i recall the two desktops were hardwired to the verizon router

i upgraded to the cr1000a mainly because verizon said they would lower my monthlies if i excahnged the routers. so they switched the two verizon routers and i disconnected my dlink. the service guy said in my old setup i really didn't need the old verizon router and i could have just used the dlink! after installing the cr1000a, IT WAS A DISASTER!!!!!!!! my roku(now hardwired to the verizon became spotty) like it had a problem streamming and it had a hard time connecting to the new router, both desktop were likewise affected.

another example: when i want to check on my amazon order i would go to amazon and choose "orders" and i would get my oreders page instantly. well with the new cr1000a when i chose orders it took 15sec to pull up my orders

even though though both desktops registered great speed on ookla and fast.com (those times were not affected), there was a significant drop as i surfed the net.
on some but not all sites there would be a 10 >25sec latency where the pages weren't loading(in a few cases i was timed out). even though all this time the speeds were great.

i said screw this and i have since replaced the verizon white cube with my d link. i am not back to my oroginal setup because the service guy took the old black verizon router. so now i am setup thusly: verizon big thingy > dlink ac1200

HOWEVER i am still left with some of the same problems brought on by the new cr1000a. i am now better than i was with the cr1000a but unfortunately i am still experiencing those lags. speedtest are fine but performance still suck

i am wondering if the service guy changed something or other. i have no idea since networking basically scares the beejeezzus out of me

help

Last edited:
It could be something as simple as your DNS causing the lag. I would check to see if you can bridge the VZ box and use your dlink for routing. There really shouldn't be a change in going from 3 boxes to 2. Check the dlink DNS servers it's using and change them to something like 8.8.8.8 / 4.2.2.2 and see if pages respond better

It could be something as simple as your DNS causing the lag. I would check to see if you can bridge the VZ box and use your dlink for routing. There really shouldn't be a change in going from 3 boxes to 2. Check the dlink DNS servers it's using and change them to something like 8.8.8.8 / 4.2.2.2 and see if pages respond better

i'm tech knowedgable only as far as i explained. i don't know the how to's orwhat is going on underneath.

i think you'll have to explain what i am checking and how etc etc

thanks for the reply :):):)

Well, google your router and it should come up with a manual and look for DNS options. That's where I would start. Bandwidth doesn't seem to be the issue according to your post about good speed testing. DNS and firewalls are usually the first signs of latency.

Well, google your router and it should come up with a manual and look for DNS options. That's where I would start. Bandwidth doesn't seem to be the issue according to your post about good speed testing. DNS and firewalls are usually the first signs of latency.
i went into my desktop my desktop, not the router.
on the desktop the dns field is left blank
does that mean it is using the router's dns?

would it be better to go into the router to change the dns?

Honestly, since you have no basic networking knowledge it's better to reset this Verizon router do factory defaults (if you ever changed any settings) and using the User Manual change the Wi-Fi SSID (network name) and password only. The router will select automatically DNS and Wi-Fi channels. You don't need to make any changes on the client side. Just connect to the router wired or wireless. If it doesn't work - call Verizon.

Remove this D-Link router, your Verizon router is much more capable device. Use the User Manual:

If it doesn't work as expected, call Verizon to fix your Internet service. You obviously can't fix it yourself.

but it was the verizon guy who set me up to begin with. that's when the problem started. i only switched because verizon's inducement was a lowering of the monthly bill

Honestly, since you have no basic networking knowledge it's better to reset this Verizon router do factory defaults (if you ever changed any settings) and using the User Manual change the Wi-Fi SSID (network name) and password only. The router will select automatically DNS and Wi-Fi channels. You don't need to make any changes on the client side. Just connect to the router wired or wireless. If it doesn't work - call Verizon.

i did the whole reset thing. that's always the first thing i do.

wifi is not the prob. in fact admittedly the wifi speed on the verizon router is almost 2x the dlink ac2600

it's the wired connection that i'm po'd about

i'll check the dlink router settings though. maybe they changed when it was disconnected?

look,,,i get that you guys don't like talking to people like me. i do art seminars and i get frustrated with the people who barely have a basic understanding of art, and i have assts who "translate" what i'm saying to those people.

i've done and DID all these things you mentioned, and guess what - on my own too. i had my stuff set up just right. but there's layers of networking stuff i don't get and i hate doing stuff rote on someone's say-so. i prefer understanding the cause and effect of this sh** but i'm not expecting that level of explanation from you guys. just hoping for someone with more tolerance of people like me

Last edited:
From your inaccurate description I'm not sure what Verizon router you ended up using and what this unknown D-Link router is doing there. As I said, use the ISP provided router only and remove this old D-Link. I can't help you further by guessing what equipment do you use and what issues do you have.

From your inaccurate description I'm not sure what Verizon router you ended up using and what this unknown D-Link router is doing there. As I said, use the ISP provided router only and remove this old D-Link. I can't help you further by guessing what equipment do you use and what issues do you have.

i already said what the verizon and dlink routers were, bro

First you have said you are too lazy to check. In post #1 you have AC1200 router. In post #11 something AC2600 appeared. Still not clear what is this router doing there. The Verizon big thingy has better Wi-Fi capabilities and faster hardware. Not clear where your devices are currently connected to.

router.jpg

I've read about people having issues with the CR1000a being used as a router.
But I use three CR1000a units as strictly APs. And as strictly APs, they have been rock solid.

The only caveat for this is you have to use one of the LAN ports for the uplink when using the CR1000a as an AP. And there is no access to the CR1000a UI. You have to move the uplink to the WAN port. Then you can access the UI and make changes. Then move the uplink back to a LAN port to use it as strictly an AP.

I'm currently using one of the 2.5GbE ports for the uplink . I was using the one 10GbE ports, but I only have so many 10GbE ports in my LAN closet. And I would rather save them for my PCs and storage. And just use the slower 2.5GbE ports for the APs.

I currently use my three CR1000a APs with my 6Ghz Wifi 6E devices. And with my 5Ghz WiFi 6 devices. Then I have several Asus APs for my WiFi 5 devices. And one Asus AP dedicated to my ip cameras that use WiFi. At some point I really need to reduce the number of APs I have.