1. Post filters have been ramped up due to high spam activity. If your post is marked for moderation, be patient. A moderator will review and release it as soon as possible.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Hi is there someone who has some advice aimesh vs wifi mesh(netgear rbk53)

Discussion in 'ASUS Wireless' started by Lars, Jan 6, 2018.

1. Lars

Lars Occasional Visitor

Today i have
    Netgear Orbi WiFi System (RBK53) AC3000
    Router + 2 Satellites.
    My trial period will start Friday next week, which means I have to send back before Friday next week if I do not want netgear, I've tried Asus Lyra and Linksys well not quite happy, so last I have now Netgear, but then did aimesh come after i got netgear, so should i keep netgear or go for aimesh system, ac5300 and ac88u? have big house 3 floors, can anyone help me on what i should do.In Norway now We have january sale on ac5300 and ac88u.thanks help.

2. Wingsfan87

Wingsfan87 Regular Contributor

RT-AC5300 does not have AI Mesh yet and may not for some time. Are you happy with the Netgear? If yes just keep it. AIMesh does have a bonus where like eero it supports ethernet backhaul. But as I said the RC-AC5300 doesn't support AIMesh yet. A better model would be the Asus RT-86U in turns of performance and price. It is better than the 88u and ac5300. Also if you can run patch cable use the ethernet backhaul and install 2-3 RT-86U's and you have yourself better coverage and full wifi strength.

I have tested the AIMesh on 2 AC68U's and the Wifi handoff/roaming works perfectly with the ethernet backhaul.

3. Lars

Lars Occasional Visitor

I have ordered one ac5300 and one ac86u,and i have one ac68u,there have ben and there is a lot of problem now whit netgear orbi latest firmwares a lots of problem,as reeboot problems,go to netgear orbi forum you can se they have many problems now,im tired of loosing nettwork and the reebooting,like they say the orbi was fine inntil new firmware has come.
    there i have bought my asus routers i have 45 days open purchase,same as my orbi system.
    Orbi was good intill the last firmwares so lots of rebooting and loses connection a lot to the satellites,sorry my bad english,there was sale on the ac5300 and the ac86u this weekend

4. Lars

Lars Occasional Visitor

But can you help me Need some help,asus support couldnt help my brother have asus ac68u as main router and ac68 as node in the garagen,in the garage i get weak wifi signal from the main router,but in the garage there is cable from the main router to the garage,should i put the cable in wan port
    or should it be in lan port 1 on the node in the garage, the cable comes from LAN port 1 from the main router
    and should i get the latest firmware

5. Wingsfan87

Wingsfan87 Regular Contributor

My opinion is cancel your RT-AC5300 order. And order a 2nd RT-AC86U since you said you ordered 1 RT-AC5300 and you ordered 1 AC86U. The RT-AC86U is far superior to the RT-AC5300 and the RT-AC5300 doesn't support AIMesh and may not for a long time. Since Merlin's doesn't support AIMesh yet you would need to use stock latest ASUS firmware. Use this link - https://www.asus.com/AiMesh/ and scroll to the bottom to download latest firmware for both AC68U and your new AC86U.

Steps
    1) Update both routers to the latest firmware and reset to factory on both of them.
    2) Use RT-AC86U as your primary router and the existing RT-AC68U as your node. (you can add an additional RT-AC86U as another node or replace the RT-AC68U if the 2 routers does the job of the whole house otherwise just add the additional RT-AC68U as another node to have a 3 wifi access point setup for more coverage)
    3) Run 1 cable from the LAN 1 on the primary RT-AC86U to the WAN on the RT-AC68U in the garage. If you are adding the 2nd RT-AC86U run a cable to that from your LAN 2 port to the WAN port of that RT-AC86U (make sure you update to latest stock firmware like the primary and reset to factory). Run a cable from LAN 3 to a network switch and all your other LAN devices like PC's, and other hardwired devices should plug into that network switch.
    4) In the Primary RT-AC68U set up your wifi settings and connect to internet (it does this for you when you first log into it).
    5) Once all your primary router settings and wifi is set then click on the AI Node option and search for the other node(s). It will find them and run the configuration. It will auto update them and connect it to the mesh network.
    6) complete all your devices should roam freely between the 2 or 3 nodes and all the traffic between the nodes is over the ethernet backhaul automatically and your devices get the full wifi performance.