What's new

Hidden guest network help

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

VandaL

New Around Here
I've been trying to create a 2.4ghz and 5ghz open networks for guests to use when they visit, but I would like to hide that SSID as I have made it an open system. However my AImesh network seems to broadcast both ssid's eventhough I have chosen to hide them. Not sure if its a Merlin/Asus software mismatch issue or just a firmware bug?

Currently running the latest stable merlin on my AX88U main router and latest stock asus firmware on all nodes.
Untitled.png

Here are the 2.4 and 5ghz settings...
2.4ghz.png

5ghz
5ghz.png

Yet my phone sees it all?
Screenshot_20210911-134245_Settings.jpg

I don't seem to have the incorrect settings but I could be wrong? Authenticating... Connecting... are my normal 2.4 and 5ghz ssids
While the guest network isn't actually important, I'm more curious about what I've done wrong here.

Any help would be much appreciated.

It might be the smartphone. When you disable broadcasts (which I never recommend since it can create odd problems), this doesn't actually prevent a client from discovering it. Not if it's willing to scan the airwaves looking for "hidden" SSIDs! That's how hackers find it regardless. And nothing says a given wifi client can't do the same for the benefit of its users. I have no way of knowing if that's the case here, but it's just another reason why hiding SSIDs is (imo) a waste of time. You'd be better off to broadcast it and provide a simple password, esp. if it's only going to be valid for a short period. This ensures encryption is still be used for the connection (if not authentication), something NOT available w/ an open system.

It might be the smartphone. When you disable broadcasts (which I never recommend since it can create odd problems), this doesn't actually prevent a client from discovering it. Not if it's willing to scan the airwaves looking for "hidden" SSIDs! That's how hackers find it regardless. And nothing says a given wifi client can't do the same for the benefit of its users. I have no way of knowing if that's the case here, but it's just another reason why hiding SSIDs is (imo) a waste of time. You'd be better off to broadcast it and provide a simple password, esp. if it's only going to be valid for a short period. This ensures encryption is still be used for the connection (if not authentication), something NOT available w/ an open system.
The main reason for hiding it is so I don't see it in the list of Wifi networks here all the time and well so nobody just driving past see's it.
Just something nice I wanted to do for guests(I'm too lazy to give them the wifi password :p) since the link is 1000/500. Guess it was a waste of time

I don't think it's the smartphone, I checked a few tablets and even the smart TV sees the networks, which is leading me to believe it could be a Asus bug? ;(

Last edited:
The main reason for hiding it is so I don't see it in the list of Wifi networks here all the time and well so nobody just driving past see's it.
Just something nice I wanted to do for guests since the link is 1000/500. Guess it was a waste of time.

Open systems provide neither authentication nor encryption. So imo, you're NOT doing your guests any favor by NOT at least providing encryption, which requires a password. And at that point, even if you broadcast the SSID, only the most dedicated of drive-bys is going to guess your simplified password. FWIW, I always use an 8-digit code (e.g., 77881234) that I change from time to time.

I've been trying to create a 2.4ghz and 5ghz open networks for guests to use when they visit, but I would like to hide that SSID as I have made it an open system. However my AImesh network seems to broadcast both ssid's eventhough I have chosen to hide them. Not sure if its a Merlin/Asus software mismatch issue or just a firmware bug?

Currently running the latest stable merlin on my AX88U main router and latest stock asus firmware on all nodes.
View attachment 36228

Here are the 2.4 and 5ghz settings...
View attachment 36229
5ghz
View attachment 36230

Yet my phone sees it all?
View attachment 36231

I don't seem to have the incorrect settings but I could be wrong? Authenticating... Connecting... are my normal 2.4 and 5ghz ssids
While the guest network isn't actually important, I'm more curious about what I've done wrong here.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Try rebooting the nodes. I have found that sometimes changes at the router do not get propagated to the nodes until a reboot. Also, I recommend you use SSID's with Alpha-Numeric characters only.

Try rebooting the nodes. I have found that sometimes changes at the router do not get propagated to the nodes until a reboot. Also, I recommend you use SSID's with Alpha-Numeric characters only.
Tried changing the ssid and rebooting the nodes through the webui then manually still no change ;(