1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Hidden SSID causing Issues

Discussion in 'General Wireless Discussion' started by username0475, Nov 15, 2019.

1. username0475

username0475 Regular Contributor

I know hiding SSID isn't consider a real security countermeasure for a home network but I rather like it that I am not broadcasting my SSID all throughout my neighborhood for any person with a cell phone to see.

However, side effect is occasionally my smart home devices loses connection to the SSID (it's a guest bases SSID) & I have to reboot said devices.
    No biggie as they were smart Alexa speakers.

But having recently step down to a WiFi only based security system - I had a rude alarm awakening @ 4am the other day when the security panel loss connection to the internet.

It was precipitated by my internet provider - Comcast- doing something upstream in the middle of the night.

So question is: should I just not hide it or are there still tangible benefits?

2. ColinTaylor

ColinTaylor Part of the Furniture

If rebooting the effected device causes it to reconnect to the hidden SSID then that might indicate that the problem is nothing to do with whether or not the SSID is hidden. That said, there's no real advantage to hiding SSIDs so you might as well un-hide it and see if it makes a difference.

3. coxhaus

coxhaus Part of the Furniture

I have a security system in place and when I gave up my LAN phone line it was a problem until I let the security provider install their own cell system. Now I sleep well again. This was years ago.

4. Greg72

Greg72 Regular Contributor

Your radio will still be seen even though there is no name associated with the beacon. Some devices require that name to be associated with the radio beacon that it is communicating with. Just make up some weird name for your radio SSID. The more common, the more that it will be ignored. Also adjust the power to where the radio beacon cannot be seen by devices outside of your home.

username0475 likes this.
  5. username0475

username0475 Regular Contributor

Interesting points.

Thanks I will try your idea of "hiding in plain sight!"