What's new

Hide my RT2600 from pings.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SpeedThree

Regular Contributor
Harking back to a previous thread here re "mating" my Synology router and my Actiontec from Verizon, I followed the advice from, I believe it was Tim:

If you don't have to open router ports, there's no reason to worry about putting the Actiontec in bridge mode. Just connect the Synology WAN port to an Actiontec LAN port and you should be good to go.

I am good to do, working my way through the RT2600 manual, etc. I remembered that great GRC site, Shields Up, and so went there to test the security of the RT2600. Everything is solid except for one Failed grade.

GRC returned: Ping Reply: Received (failed) - Your system replied to our Ping (ICMP echo) requests, making it visible on the Internet. Most personal firewalls can be configured to block, drop, and ignore such ping requests in order to better hide systems from hackers.

Cross my heart and hope to die, I did RTFM on the RT2600. Searched the entire thing for "ping" and there is zero information on how to configure this router to block ping requests.

Can anyone provide a link to info on how to do this?

If I understand you correctly your Actiontec is still configured as a router, not a bridge, and the RT2600 is behind it. Double-NAT.

So it is the Actiontec that is directly connected to the internet and therefore responding to outside pings, not the RT2600. The GRC site is probing the Actiontec.

It's not the end of the world if you can't configure the Actiontec to ignore ICMP pings.

Thanks, Colin. Clear, concise, easy-to-understand answer, which is much appreciated.
Off to check the Actiontec manual.
Glad I got that new Synology when I was off work for two weeks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!